Eight

I'm still pretty sick when wake up once more, but my migraine has dulled all the way down to a very mild ache, so I suppose it could be worse. Fish is back, curled into the space in front of my chest from me since I'mlying on my side. I deny the offer of any food, the mere mention making my stomach flip. I sit at the kitchen table and sip at a glass of apple juice while the couple eat some cereal for breakfast.

"Can we go back to the rink?" I ask, staring into the glass of juice that I have clutched between both hands.

"The rink?" Jacob replies. "Lake, you're really sick. I don't really know if that's a good idea."

"I'm an ice bender," I reply, tapping my fingernails against the glass in my hands. "I'll be in my element."

The couple exchange a look as I take another sip of juice. I've already offered the best argument I have. I don't really have the energy to argue more if they still say no. I hold out my right hand and focus my energy enough to produce a bit of snow, the flurries drifting delicately down into my waiting palm.

"It might make me feel a little better," I add.

They exchange another look.

"Alright, kiddo, we can go," Jacob concedes. "But the same rules as before still apply."

I take a nice long shower, keeping the water warm instead of hot after Thomas's insistence, washing all the fever sweat from my body and hair. I change into a set of clothes Jacob is letting me borrow and they're yet again a bit too big. Being clean and in fresh clothes makes me feel a bit better already.

"We can't stay for as long as yesterday," Jacob informs me on the drive to the rink. "It's a game day for Tommy, so he needs to go back to his place for his pre-game nap."

I snort and nod, closing my eyes against the brightness of day beyond the car's tinted windows.

"I have tickets for both of you if you want to go," Thomas says, turning in his seat to look back at me.

"Really?" I reply. "Can we go, then?"

Jacob grumbles, his grip tightening a bit on the steering wheel.

"You know that Max is trusting me to make sure you don't get captured or kidnapped or arrested all over again, right?" he says. A long, heavy sigh follows.

"I've got this HoloTech nonsense," I reply. "We'll be fine, c'mon."

"He's right, honey," Thomas says, laying a hand on Jacob's thigh that I pretend not to see. "They're tickets for a box, so it's not like you're gonna be on the big screen or in a sea of overexcited fans, okay?"

Jacob slows the car to a stop at a red light. He uses this pause in driving to lean his head back and stare at the roof of the car for a moment.

"Alright, fine. If Lake is still feeling okay, then we'll go."

"I'll bring a notepad," I say. "Scrutinize your play."

Thomas laughs out loud, shoving the sunglasses on his face back up the bridge of his nose.

"Yeah? Awesome. I enjoy constructive criticism," he replies.

"Who said it was gonna be constructive?" I say, and all three of us burst out laughing. It kind of hurts to laugh, but I do it anyway. I remember hearing someone say, maybe Nick, that forcing yourself to smile for long enough has the potential to make you actually feel happy. Maybe if I relax a bit, my Bond will calm down, as well.