Chapter 19: The art of being subtle

A/N: 02.04.20

I sent my applications to a really prestigious place that I've been working years to get into. I can't believe this is my last chance to get in...

I'm praying with all my heart that I get it 😭 You guys don't know the Hell I've been through for this.

Results will be out in May and ahh the suspense is killing me...

Sorry for the mini-life update 😅

Anyway, enjoy this chapter!

(I know I keep changing the cover, I haven't found one that satisfies me entirely yet ;-;)

🍒🍒🍒

Astrid was sent to the emergency room while Noé was taken to a private one. Noah and Micka were told that it was way past curfew and that they should return back to their dorms. No matter how much they persisted, the doctors refused to give them any details on Astrid's condition. They had no other choice but to return to their rooms.

The next day, they both skipped class and headed straight to the hospital.

"You have to approach the doctors subtly."

"I am subtle," Micka argued, angrily kicking a rock in front of him. Noah raised his brows.

"Micka, you are everything but subtle."

He chortled. "Preposterous!"

Noah held back an eye roll. "You grabbed the doctor by his lab coat and shook him senseless yesterday," Noah deadpanned, who had to rip Micka off of one of the doctors with the help of two other nurses.

"He wasn't answering my questions!"

They continued to bicker until finally arriving at the hospital. Micka eyed the doctor who he had tackled yesterday. "Oi! You!"

The doctor's head snapped towards him, letting out a short gasp and jumping in fear when he saw Micka. Before he could run away, Micka caught him by the arm and pushed him against the wall.

"You better start talking," he ordered through gritted teeth. "Is Astrid alive?"

"Y-Yes, she's alive."

"Will she be okay?"

The doctor didn't answer and Micka's muscles tensed.

"Micka, calm down," Noah ordered, quickly pulling his best friend away from the poor doctor. "Can you tell us what happened to Astrid?"

Skeptical, the doctor looked around him to make sure that none of his colleagues were nearby. He wasn't supposed to be giving any information to other students unless they were relatives. Considering the fact that they were both white boys and Astrid Asian, he could tell that they weren't anywhere near related.

"She was bit by an insect."

"Okay," Micka grumbled impatiently. "What kind of insect are we talking about here? A mosquito, a spider, a fucking fruit fly...?"

"We don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? Aren't you paid to know this stuff? Or is your lab coat nothing but for show?"

"We haven't been able to identify the insect," the doctor went on. "But we have been able to identify some of the chemicals in the venom."

Venom?