Chapter 23

"Kam?" Alice whispered, peaking into her bedroom.

Viggo and Hunter were asleep in the room across the hall which had been renovated for them since they were now the size of five-year olds and moved in their sleep which meant that there was little room for them in the same bed as Kamber.

When Alice looked in, she was shocked to see Rosalie and Antigone in there, helping the girl pack!

"What is going on?" she asked, charging into the room but closing it so that the twins, who were napping, weren't roused.

"I have to leave Alice," Kamber replied, taking a pile of shirts from Rosalie and putting them in her backpack.

"But Kam..." Alice started but Rosalie interrupted her.

"Don't tell me that you didn't see this coming Alice. You can see the future," Rose snapped. "You just didn't tell us what you saw because you didn't want to hurt Kamber."
Kamber lifted her eyes and Alice realized the girl had been crying... a lot!

"But why Kam?" Alice asked. "We should talk to Edward about it. He might have had a reason."
"For what?" Antigone snapped. "For kissing Bella in the elevator?"
Alice froze. She had always tried to support her brother and remain loyal to him but now that she thought of it, Edward would have told them if something was going on or he was having a hard time.... And yet he went and did something like this without explaining it.

Alice sighed, "But where will you go?"
Kamber took the books that Antigone handed to her and stuffed them into the little space left in her bag, "To visit my aunt and uncle in Austria."
"But that's...." Alice started.

"A long way away," Kamber finished. "Yeah I know. I was considering leaving one of the boys here with Edward but the last thing I want is for the two of them to be separated.... But I didn't feel comfortable leaving both twins here. I don't want them growing up without their mother and...."

The girl couldn't finish for her voice caught in her throat and she had to swallow a sob. Alice walked across the room and drew the girl into a tight hug.

"I understand Kam. I only hope that one day you'll be able to return home and we can fix this all up."
Kamber nodded, "One day... I hope."
Without another word, Kamber drew away from her and silently left the room. Rose and Antigone followed, carrying the two bags Kamber filled. When they met her in the living room, she was carrying Viggo on her hip and had Hunter's hand in his. Both had backpacks on their backs and were looking rather puzzled.

The whole Cullen family, minus Edward, were in the living room as well as Kamber's whole family.

"Are you sure about this honey?" Mrs. Vicasi asked, trying to fight tears.

Kamber nodded, "I need to do this."
One by one, her family members walked over and gave her a hug. She set Viggo down and allowed the twins to go and say farewell to their many aunts and uncles and grandparents. When Kamber reached Esme, the woman embraced her gently.

"I am glad that you met Edward when you did," she whispered. "I believe you may have helped him."
Kamber smiled sadly and shook her head, "Not enough."
Finally Carlisle reached the girl and placed his hands on her shoulders, "Be careful. I know you are more than capable of protecting your family."
Kamber smiled before hugging the doctor vampire. Finally, the girl stepped back to look at her family. Viggo and Hunter walked over to her, both of them taking one of her hands.

The girl smiled at her family before she turned and headed out the door. Silently she threw her bag into the back of the truck that her dad had given her. She then lifted each of the twins and buckled them into their car seat before climbing into the front seat herself.