16 - Only The Winds

Sorry I took more than anticipated, guys! I know it's short, but here it is ;). Enjoy!

•••

Once upon a time, there was an innocent light-child wandering through the darkness, a shining little star drowning in the void. The child walked amongst the blood of the innocent, spilt over the once green fields,  following the dim trail of the only star on the sky as a dark shadow slowly spoke ‘why oh why do you roam this land, sweet child? Can you not see it belongs to me?’ 

The child smiled, ‘this land does not belong to you, great shadow of the East. It was given to you to take care of but you chose another path.’

The shadow sneered, ‘you know nothing, naive one. I possess this land as light courses through your veins. No one here dare against me, I am its sole master.’

‘You are wrong, deceiving shadow. The winds stay free from you,’ the child said.

The shadow laughed, ‘and what are the winds compared to me?’

The child said, ‘only the winds hear the silent cries of the defenceless. Only the winds can witness the destruction and remain untouched. Only the winds feel. Only the winds remain free, and they blow strongly only towards the light.’

And abruptly, the winds heard the innocent’s prayer and blew through the shadow until the shadow was no more. But there remained a star, who had shined bright under the shadow’s glance, and as light slowly regained the fields, the star grew cold and dark.

‘Why is it you no longer shine?’ the child asked.

‘I finally can be free, naive child,’ said the star, ‘for too long have I been feigning this light that does not belong to me. Too long have I been mistaken for a guide through the night, too long have people had faith in me. For I may have been the only star shining on the sky, but my purpose is not to shine bright.’

The child receded, ‘but you are the brightest star!’

‘Nay,’ said the dark star, ‘for right before the dawn is the darkest night, and in that night shines the Morning Star. I am no guide, I am your foe!’ it cried as darkness erupted all around and engulfed the child.

Only the winds heard the silent cries of the defenceless child. Only the winds witnessed the destruction and remained untouched. Only the winds felt. Only the winds remained free, untouched by darkness. But they never blew strong again, for the last true light was no more. Only the winds remained.

Sir Gideon closed the book and sighed. He’d been told that story over and over again as a child. He’d never imagined he would come to dread its meaning. He looked to the flames in the chimney, as they danced against the dark.

“Uncle?” Christopher’s voice brought him back.

“What news, Aidan?” he asked weary.

“You won’t like them,” the man said as he sat down on the sofa next to him. “I’ve been trying to get hold of Kill but so far nothing, except I’ve come across some information saying he’s been involved in the incident in Nanga Parbat.”

“Stupid boy…” Sir Gideon muttered under his breath.

“However, he seems to be back in Argentina with Armantini. So, I don’t know,” Christopher shrugged.

“What about the girl?”

“All blank.”

“That’s impossible,” the old man stated.