5 - The Mop and the Flame

Matthew pushed the door silently and peeked inside. She was napping on the couch in front of the chimney with a book in her lap. She probably got bored, he thought meekly, understanding she was the tech-girl type and most definitely not the country type. Should he bring her a computer?

He walked towards her. She had a frown. Whatever she was dreaming, it wasn’t pleasant. He conjured up a blanket to cover her up, but as he set it on her, she opened her eyes, to stare right straight to him. He froze.

“You’re back,” she murmured after an uncomfortable moment of silently looking at each other.

He nodded. “Yes, it appears I am,” he said as he straightened himself up. “I believe you got bored.”

She sighed as she shook her head. “No, I just felt tired. I couldn’t really sleep last night.”

“I believe that is my fault, Miss Montaño.”

She blinked, surprised. “No, I don’t blame you. I rather blame the reapers.”

Matthew couldn’t help himself, as he staggered back away from her. “How do you know about them?”

She took the book from her lap and handed it to him. “Your library is very illuminating, Mr. Ashcroft.”

He closed his eyes in irritation as he took the book in his hands. “I should’ve locked you up in the basement,” he grunted.

“Where’s the fun in that?” she whispered, getting up. “So that’s what you were doing? Killing reapers?”

“In a manner of speaking,” muttered Matthew as he got to the tea table and prepared himself some tea.

“I had no idea british people were so in love with their tea,” she noted to him.

“I should take you to meet Her Majesty. She’d surprise you. Do you want some?” he asked her, half taking another cup, but she shook her head.

“I did convince your father to feed me with junk food, Mr. Ashcroft. I’m full,” she smiled as she sat in across the table to face him. “I believe he gave me that small satisfaction just because I promised I’d keep still at the table.”

“That does sound like him,” he agreed, sipping his cup of tea. “You let him bribe you, then?”

“It was more the other way around, you know,” she admitted.

“My father would never agree to something that wouldn’t be good for him.”

“I suppose. Then again, I think he just wanted me to shut the fuck up,” she shrugged, as Matthew eyed her scandalized.

“And you kiss your mother with that mouth,” he smiled while drinking the rest of his cup.

“You’d be surprised of all the foul-mouthed words my mother can pile up in a sentence, Mr. Ashcroft. I’m Virgin Mary at her side.”

“I’d like to see that, Miss Montaño.”

They both laughed slightly.

“I know I haven’t told you this, but I’m sorry by the way I brought you here.” The girl looked startled at him. “I should have asked you. I just didn’t think.”

“You are apologizing… for saving me?”

“I should have told you why I was doing it. I just yanked you to the Maelstrom of Shadow Travel without so much as a warning. I’m in awe, because you didn’t scream or anything. God in hell, you don’t even react like most people do,” he breathed.