15

It turned out that Percy had been correct, and they had a double herbology class first and, as he was headed to Care of Magical Creatures anyway, he had been more than happy to escort the five of them to the correct greenhouse. Neville and Hermione seemed to almost vibrate with excitement the whole time prompting the red head to begin starting the lecture off early giving a summary of the plants they would be learning throughout their time at Hogwarts.

Only able to tolerate it for so long Lavender and Parvati fell back slightly with a shared look and eye roll. The latter made a semi-sarcastic comment on how it was a second Padma, just when she thought she had escaped, and the two started a separate conversation, Harry for his part was content enough to listen in on both groups and take in the grounds that made up Hogwarts. His eye caught longingly on the so-called forbidden forest as well as noting the Quidditch pitch that lay temptingly nearby. First years weren't allowed brooms, yes, but surely he could borrow a school one sometime that year?

      They were early to the greenhouses and waited at the door alongside a few Ravenclaw students who chattered excitedly together without sparing the Gryffindors another glance. A decent crowd of students had gathered before Professor Sprout made her appearance, opening the door and hustling them in- with an offhand warning to be careful as some of the residents of the greenhouse were a bit snappish at the moment.

Neville nearly glowed at the comment, glancing around to try and spot the possibly deadly ones with the same excitement as if it had been announced that his long lost and closest friend was hiding somewhere in the foliage for him. Lavender was hard at work trying to get Hermione to stop her panicked muttering over her preparedness- 'its giving even me anxiety for goodness sake!'- but it was to little effect and Harry and Parvati quickly partnered up with Neville while the other two were distracted. Harry wasn't sure how well he would fare with the plants and Parvati had looked mournfully at her newly polished nails when she first found out what their first class was and had kept glancing at them ever since.

     Their decision proved to be a good one as their mandrakes- and ears- came out the most unscathed out of all the students. Neville really had a gift. Hermione's, on the complete opposite hand, were still ringing from when she had gone to get an up close look at the sprouting instead of leaning back like a sensible person, that was not to say she was the only one to make that mistake- they took herbology with Ravenclaw, it was apparently and surprisingly an unavoidable consequence- but she was the only one who attempted it more than the once. Gryffindor bravery he supposed...

     Neville was still floating on the confidence boost that had been their herbology class as they headed to their second class, potions. Lavender and Hermione seemed to have established an odd friendship mostly comprised of their love of arguing. Specifically with each other. Parvati, who was the most confident in her brewing skills, happily paired with Neville easing him from the remains of his nervousness. 'It's the least I can do' she'd added with a pleased smile at her pristine nails which had remained mostly unscathed through Herbology and which Neville had helped get what little dirtied them off afterwards with some pro tips. Seeing Draco standing alone by the door, Harry approached.

    "Hello, Malfoy, how was your first class?"

    "Tiamat.  You're hair's not red anymore." That was true, Harry had washed out the potion the night before as he'd decided to wear all of the houses colors when he got sorted, it was currently a darker black than his actual hair color was as he was still trying to decide if he'd  rather to dye it turquoise or yellow next. Seeming to realize what he had said, Draco stiffened again, his head tilting upwards, "Why exactly are you talking to me again?"

    "I did say I planned to judge people's character on my own, but that hardly meant I wouldn't mind company doing it. You should know I don't see much point in house lines, so I can hardly see how things changed since last we spoke; unless you feel differently?"