What are we

"We are werewolves." My brother growled in a low voice, facing my father for the first time sense the argument started.

My father gave a half assed shrug, pulling back his pool cue and rubbing the tip with chalk. "I'm just saying. I don't think it's as simple as that. There are no werewolves that can turn whenever they want to. Not to mention, Harvey... Have you ever seen a full moon, felt compelled to howl at it and then change without having and sense of your own being?" He lifted his eyebrows at his son, looking over his arm at him. "No, I didn't think so."

My father pulled back his cue, took a breath and held it as he closed an eye and made his aim. Before Harvey or I could even try and figure out which ball he was going for- he launched his attack. There was a clatter of balls hitting net- Father stood back up and analyzed his shot. He has gotten his last three balls in.

"There's nothing else we could be!" Harvey barked at him. "What about our pack? And the other packs? We are clearly wolves."

"Shape shifters." My father said simply. "I think we are a form of shape shifter. Don't like it? Fight me." My father straightened out, his height significantly towering over my brother.

Harvey cowered back, but stood his ground with his words. "Whatever you want to believe, old man. But no one else is gonna buy that- especially not me."

My father sighed and tossed his head dramatically to the side to look at me. "Dearest Daughter, do you believe what your old man says?"

"Old man?" I scoffed, "you're barely forty-one."

He brushed me off with a movement of his hand, "stop flattering me and answer me."

I shrugged, "what do I know?"

"How to fight. How to lead. How to battle. You're very smart, clever and strong. You're the most level headed of the family."  My father pointed his cue at me.

"Stop flattering me." I mimicked, sliding off the counter in our basement.

My father was the Alpha of our so called 'pack'. I was his daughter. We owned a large house in the woods of our property- our territory. It was all made by pack memebers, a large building behind our house held housing for many other pack members- including our Beta and our Gamma.

Our Alpha was my father, Havrick Lockwood. He was tall, about six foot five inches. But all that height can't make up for his bald head. The most hair that man has is the occasional beard.

Our Beta- second in charge-was my fathers brother, Moose Lockwood. His brown full head of hair (which father is more than jealous over) is always styled in the same military buzz cut. His mate was Suzanne- she had short blonde pin straight hair and tired brown eyes. She hated being  married and imprinted  to a Beta. Too much worry, she says. She also kept her hair short so when she got into fights she knew no one could grab a hand full and tug her to the ground. Whenever she saw me with my hair down she would tell me I should cut it short before someone cut my life short... I feel like there's a story to her short hair, but honestly she scares me.

Our Gamma -third in charge- was a woman named Napply Sappy. She had the prettiest mossy green eyes I had ever seen... when you're lucky enough to catch her awake. She had her damaged brown hair always up in a tight bun on her head.  She was older, in her late forties, and still hasn't found her mate.

Mates are a once in a life time thing. You get one- and that's it. You can reject a mate, but even the people I know who rejected their mates, ended up married because the bond is nearly impossible to avoid or ignore.

I have been raised strong. I knew how to fight and I knew how to take out an enemy. I knew how to hunt and I knew how to take care of my pack. I was never encouraged to leave the forest. Never encouraged to leave home. Once upon a time as a silly little girl I dreamed of the person I would imprint on. I dreamed of the mate that would be bestowed to me. But my father worried with how strong my blood was, seeing both of my parents were alphas, that I would never find a mate. And that my blood wouldn't ever approve. As I grew older and the fights between territories became my business, I realized that I'm happy that my blood is so picky. I don't want a mate. Mates were too troublesome. Too time consuming. Too much work when I have so many other people to take care of.

"I'm going to go do my rounds." I muttered over my shoulder at my brother and father before they could convince me to stay. I slunk behind these door and shut it firmly, despite the protest of my brother.

I walked up the stairs into the main house. The livingroom was large and open with five couches, a few recliners and a large television over an always burning fire place.

"Pavetra." Napply yawned my name from the couch. "You're late."

"Father was having an argument with Harv." I mumbled, grabbing a few dirty plates off the coffee tables. "I have to clean up here, check on the pups, and then go train some of the rambunctious teenagers." I sighed, "feel like helping at all?"

Napply took in a long slow breath, "It looks like you have it under control." She smirked at me, her eyes heavy. A snore escaping her mouth before she could say anything else.

I chuckled, taking the dishes into the kitchen. Our kitchen was also large and open. All wooden everything. From the cabinets to the counters. Even the fridge was trimmed in dark wood. The stove was black, and it was the only thing that didn't have any wood on it. No matter how many times I told my family that it would be a terrible idea to shove so much wood into a room, they didn't care or listen. I was simply waiting for the room to burn down.

"Oi, Vetra." A deep, rustic voice purred from the corner of the room. Killian Grovestand. My best friend and top heart throb in the territory. He stood tall at six three, his dark brown eyes matched the dark brown highlights in his messy blonde hair. "Ready to hit the gym?"

Killian was a mystery to everyone. He came here when we were young, no parents and no family. The only thing we knew was that he was one of us... he always had issue with changing- and you'd think his wolf would be a lot bigger seeing his height is substantial. But he was small in comparison to the other wolves on territory.

I slid the dishes into the sink. "Do I really have a choice?" I asked with a forced laugh. I was wearing jean shorts and a loose fitting t shirt, that would have to do. "Mind checking in on the pups with me before we go?"

"I'd go anywhere with you, Pevetra Lockwood."

"Stop flattering me." A grin lit my face as I opened the front door. "Let's go."