24. Blank Space

"Shadows come with the pain that you're running from. Love was something you never heard enough." Where Do Broken Hearts Go - One Direction

-

Zoey Willow Hunter

THAT morning, when Mother Nature came to visit my ovary system-it was the wonderful cherry on top of the cupcake that was my life.

After the massacre that was the ceremony last night, I had rushed to my room and cried myself to sleep. With my dress and makeup on. Therefore, in the morning, I had a filthy face, a stained pillow and an uncomfortably twisted dress on my body. Not to forget about the state of my underwear.

The bed beside me was empty. There was a suitcase missing-Nico's.

I was avoiding even thinking about him at all. I cried enough last night; he didn't deserve any more of my tears. Today was the day we went back home, the flight was at 10 pm. I'd have to be at the airport at least two hours before the flight.

It was 10 am, though. I still had 10 hours to spend in a beautiful city- New York. Originally, I had planned to visit the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty today with Nico. Now, I wasn't too sure what to do. My hopes of spending time with him had fallen and gotten buried; just like my friendship with him.

After a much needed shower and endless scrubbing of the previous night's chaos, I was ready to start the day. The plan was: pack my bag, have breakfast, say goodbye to everyone at the MAC-since everyone was leaving today, explore NYC and head to the airport.

The question nagging in the back of my head was: Will Nico be on the plane with me?

Just as I finished tying my combat boot's laces, there was a very angry knock at the door. Behind it was a pissed-off Walters, holding Nico's arm. The boy I fought with last night looked beaten down and exhausted. He held his suitcase with the other hand.

"You!" exclaimed Walters, walking in the room.

I answered with the most logical answer there was: "Me?"

"Yes, you! And you," he pointed to Nico. "I'm tired of you two, to be perfectly honest."

Nicolas grimaced, "why? And please, let go of me."

"Kid, as kindly as I can tell you this, shut up," sighed Walters, fed up. He pointed to Nico: "You! Don't you dare take an earlier flight and leave Zoey. You will both leave together from NYC. Before the end of the day, apologize to her. Take care of her for me."

"Where are you going?" I asked, meeting fatigued fiery eyes that had traveled around the world.

He blinked, "I'm leaving, my flight to Amsterdam is in a few hours. I can't very well leave while knowing that the two people responsible for mail are behaving like crap towards each other, now can I? Zoey, I need you to promise to have fun today and enjoy New York. Apologize to Nico before the day ends. Don't let him leave you here alone. Spend your day together."

Finally, Walters pulled Nico in a hug and patted his back. Nico nodded solemnly at something he had said, once he was free from the hug. The mailman turned towards me and hugged me as well, I felt tears gathering in my eyes.

"I'm going to miss you so much," I sniffled. My nasal situation wasn't doing too well at the moment; being sick and teary at the same time was exacerbating the amount of tissues needed.

"Same here, kid. Don't let go of him that easily," he whispered, pulling away. "One day you'll realize that you love him back. See you soon."

Harry Walters walked out of the room swiftly, closing the door behind him. My mouth had dropped open; the second to last sentence he had said was blinking in my head, flashing in neon lights.