78 Soldiers Field (I)

Neutral Dimension
February 3rd
0700 AM
Inter-dimensional Airfield

[POV of Skull]
[Patriotic tunes played over speakers]
We dressed in our WW2 era Battle Dress Uniforms, they smelled clean and the green was un-stained. I was putting on the tan leggins while looking at the fellow soldiers whom prepared for the skirmish. I followed Jason and Buddy Closely, but Mad Jack put his arm around me and joked as we walked towards the plane... I had never felt fear before, but if this is what it's like... fear is a pussy! We boarded the OD green 1941 Douglas C-47 Dakota with a Varga pin-up girl as its nose art. I looked out the window to see people lined up and waving at the plane as we ascended into the sky. The ride was bumpy as the soldiers joked and laughed about the other drafts they had been selected for. This was not the first war RHB has been in, but this was the first war with high stakes. The plane broke through the clouds and exposed a floating city, the pilot aimed the plane at edge of the strip, a wire then caught the rear wheel and slowed the plane to a hault. The plane then slowly turned and was pulled into its area, once their a drill Sergeant ordered us off the plane. We stood in a line... Mad Jack, Jason, and Buddy smirked as they knew what was about to happen.

Drill Sergeant: LOOK HERE MEN, YOU ARE NOW PART OF NM'S ARMY! YOU WILL BE TRAINED ON HOW TO USE A RIFLE, DO SOME SHORT PT, AND THE RECIEVE YOUR GEAR!
Everyone except me: SIR, YES, SIR!

The drill Sergeant looked at me with an expression of severe anger. He then stomped towards me.

Drill Sergeant: WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE PENCIL NECK! A FUCKING MUTE, A FUCKING COMEDIAN, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?
Me (Skull): I...
Drill Sergeant: DID I TELL YOU THAT YOU COULD ANSWER ME!
Me (Skull): ...
Drill Sergeant: WHAT IS YOUR GODDAMN MALFUNCTION!
Me (Skull): I didn't know if I could answer, Sir!
Drill Sergeant: Look here boys, we got a well mannered pile of shit! We will make something of this shit yet... NOW GRAB YOUR RIFLES MAGGOTS!

[2 hours later]

We went through the most strenuous, ultra-fast basic training ever conducted. After my skills with a machine gun became known I was assigned an M60 and a Colt Delta Elite. I grabbed a Remington 870 3-1/2in. Stubby shotgun for my secondary rifle. We then went to the soldiers den at soldiers Field, this place was filled with commotion, drinking, laughing, smoking, and music. We sat at a table and joined the other soldiers in their merry making, this was cut short however. General NM walked into the place, everyone stood at attention... even Jason.

General NM: at ease men, have a drink. We are about to embark upon a great crusade, one that has been mentioned several times in previous briefings, our task will not be an easy one. Our enemy is well trained and battle hardened, he will try to fight savagely. May God bless us on this great and noble undertaking, the eyes of this Dimension are upon you. I have full faith in your devotion to duty and skill in battle, now take up arms... we have an enemy to fight.
*everyone salutes*
*NM salutes back with vigor*
Random soldier: Lets kick the enemies ass so we can drink!
Everyone: YEAH!

We were told this war would be an easy and fast one... they were wrong...