Chapter three

I sat quietly on a chair in the large corridor. Suri was inside the Hokage's office. They were probably talking about whether we were allowed to be here or not. I tried not to let my thoughts wander but they did. I somehow ended up pondering the best method for baking pretzels. My culinary genius was interrupted by a boy who was roughly the same age as Suri ran through the corridors and nearly barged into the Hokage's office. His sensei manged to grab him just in time. His team mates only looked on in disgust. I felt like I was ready to hyperventilate. Here I was, in squad 7's holy presence. 

"Naruto! You can't just go into the Hokage's office without knocking. She's obviously busy otherwise there wouldn't be people waiting outside." scolded a pink-haired girl. 

"Who is she anyway?" The blond boy said rudely. 

"Naruto, you should be more polite." His sensei said in a bored voice. Nice to know I was so fascinating. The boy straightened up and strolled over to me. 

"I'm Naruto Uzumaki. I'm gonna be Hokage, believe it!" He grinned at me. I only stared back.

"Yurie. I'm gonna be normal, believe it!" I said imitating his catch phrase. 

"My name is Sakura and this is Sasuke-kun."  Said a girl with pink hair. She motioned towards an cute guy at the last part. 

"Nice to meet you!" I replied.

"This is Kakashi-sensei." Naruto added pointing at his silver-haired teacher. I waved at Kakashi.

"Hello Kakashi-san!"  He nodded a greeting at me. At that moment the door to the Hokage's office opened and Suri's head popped out.

"Yurie. Come here please. They would like to talk to you." I waved to my new friends and dashed inside. An old man dressed in the Hokage robes was sitting behind his desk. I recognized him as the third Hokage. I knew from the anime and manga that his face was carved into stone on the cliffs. I bowed. "This is Yurie." 

"You two don't look like siblings." The old man said. He had one one of those old man voices where it sounded all scratchy. 

"Yurie was adopted." Lies! All lies! Nobody ever adopted me. Which was fair enough. I'm a pretty ugly kid.

"Okay, we'll sort out living arrangements for you." The Hokage smiled at me and I returned it before leaning over to whisper in Suri's ear. 

"Aren't we only stopping here for a short while?" 

"Well, we were, Yurie. But I've been offered a position as a ninja here. I'll take an exam at the academy today and it'll be all official." She explained. I felt my jaw drop. Suri... Was going to be a ninja by tonight? She sure didn't leave things to chance. 

"Hmm, well we better let Naruto-kun and the others have their turn." And with that our new lives in Konoha began. 

~~~Time Skip~~~

I woke up in the strange bed. Me and Suri now shared a small two bedroom apartment. The apartment block was full of small apartments for the village orphans. I rolled out of bed and stretched. I looked in the mirror. I had a bath last night and didn't dry my hair before I went to bed so it was an absolute mess. I grabbed a hairbrush and set to work on the tangles. After that I started the long process of wrapping my body the bandages. I left my face till last wanting to breathe easier for little longer. I heard creaking coming from outside and I knew Suri was ready. I quickly tugged on my clothes before running into the hallway. Suri had probably gone to check out the kitchen. I ran down the corridor at full speed down the narrow corridor and nearly ran into Suri who was standing in front of the full length mirror. She was admiring herself in the mirror. I had to admit, she looked very nice. She was wearing a short blue kimono with knee high sandals. She had black ninja gloves and a black headband was holding most of her hair away from her face. Hanging around her neck was the necklace her parents had given her when she was born. I never saw her without it. She chucked a red scarf at me. "Here, I got you this last night. I though you could use it to brighten up your outfit. All that black is dreary."

"Thanks." I grumbled. She thinks just because she's older she's got superior fashion sense. I think I looked quite awesome. I had a black sleeveless shirt and and a black skirt on. I tied the red scarf around my waist.I had a pair of black arm-warmers on too. My sandals and earrings were black to match. I was covered in bandages from my nose to my ankles. They were itchy but good had hiding the scars. I would of died in that fire but someone rescued me. I never saw their face and I never got to thank them. Suri smiled at me and patted my head. "Wait a second!" I shouted. "How did you afford this?"

Suri just grinned at me. "A drunk man paid me quite a bit for a kiss on the cheek." Talk about gross.

"Just on the cheek?" I narrowed my eyes at her. 

"Yeah, he was pretty drunk and wasn't thinking straight. Probably thought it was a fair deal." I looked at her jealously. Some days, I thought it was unfair how cool she was. She was pretty, nice and an amazing ninja. I'm just glad she's my best friend or should I say sister now?