Chapter Eight: Facing My Secret Admirer

***************************************

 When I was coming out of Cato’s I bumped into someone and felt a pair of strong hands grasp me to prevent me from falling. When I looked to see who it was, it was the one person I never expected to see. I couldn’t say anything. I just stood there with this look on my face as if saying; “Why are you here?” I started to feel embarrassed so I said to him; “O, Hi Mark, how are you? Are you having a good day?” He said; “I am fine and I am thank you. I can see you are by all the packages in your arms. Can I help you with them?”  I said; “That would be wonderful, I have to admit my arms are getting tired. You’re a life saver.”  Then I got a great idea. I decided to ask him to join me at Duncan Donuts for coffee and a donut. He said yes and off we went first to my car to unload and then down the street for coffee and donuts.

I got a booth while he got the refreshments. He got a lemon jelly filled donut, they are my favorite kind, and hot chocolate, since I am not much of a coffee drinker, for me and a raspberry filled donut and coffee for himself and brought them to the booth and sat down.

Anyone watching us could tell we were both a little nervous. We talked about the weather, we talked about the latest news, and we talked about everything except what was really on our minds.

Finally Mark just came out and asked; “It’s been several months now and I have to know if there is any hope for me. The pressure is getting to me. I mean, if there isn’t then I need to start getting used to thinking of you as a very good friend.”

I asked him; “Why have you never wanted to express your feelings for me before. Why did you choose now to express them? Were you ashamed of your feelings or embarrassed about how you felt because of our age difference?”

“I was afraid it would ruin the friendship I had with you and your family. I decided to wait until you had graduated from college but then I found out you had a boyfriend so I just gave up and then when you and Jackson broke up I thought this is my chance. I was a little uncertain and unsure how to go about it after the breakup and didn’t want to be rejected. I knew you didn’t know me that well but I didn’t want to risk losing you. So I decided to be your secret admirer. I hoped the knowledge that someone was interested in you would take your mind off of Jackson and that we would have time to get to know each other.”

“I hate to tell you this but your plan almost backfired. I thought Jackson was either sorry or was playing a sick joke on me. I never dreamed that you were interested in me. I thought you thought of me as a little sister.”

Mark’s head snapped up at that. “Far from it!” he said.

“Yes, so I have come to find out.”

There was a brief silence then Mark took my hand and asked; “I know I said I wouldn’t pressure you but we’ll never get to know each other at work. I would like to take you out on a real date, to a good restaurant, just the two of us. Say you’ll go.”

“Yes Mark, I would love to go.”

(Mark’s Power Of Voice)

When Tammy bumped into me coming out of Cato’s I was surprised to see her. I was also surprised when she asked me to join her at Duncan Donuts. I was nervous. I didn’t know if she was going to end my hopes or make me a happy man. We always got along and I didn’t want that to change. I just wanted our friendship to grow into something more. I have liked her for quite a while and didn’t want to lose her at all. I cleared my thoughts and asked her what she wanted to see me about. She started asking me questions. I answered them truthfully.

I think she was a little shocked at what I felt for her and was also a little surprised at what was going on in my head. When we were done talking I was glad to finally have it all out in the open. I don’t think I could have kept my feelings in much longer anyway.

She told me she would go out with me. I was a happy man. I thought my heart was going to stop I was so happy.  Will my secret crush finally become a reality and not a dream anymore? Will I get the woman of my dreams?

(End Of Mark’s Power Of Voice)

***********************************************

 Well this story is almost at an end. I hope you all have enjoyed reading it. I hope to hear what you all think of it. Leave your thoughts, and Don’t Forget To Vote.