Subjugation

Hello!!

I'm so sorry for this update being a little delayed.

I've had a rather awful cold the past week that has led to me spending a lot of time resting.

It didn't help that this chapter was one of the hardest ones to write yet.

I hope it still came out alright- writers block and piles of tissues aside.

✤     ✤     ✤

They were waiting for her in the entrance hall.

Dante stepped in behind her, helping her out of her coat.

Alexander leant against one of the pillars, his blond curls in disarray.

A tormented expression on his face as he watches her walk toward him.

She stops a few feet away.

"Hi, angel." His voice cracks.

The usual musical quality of it choked with emotion.

Enid's insides ache as she sees the devastation in his eyes.

"Hi, Alex." She says softly.

Theodore clears his throat and leads them into the main sitting room.

The three men settle on the couch by the fireplace and for a moment, Alexander holds his arms out for her.

She takes a seat in the armchair across from them.

Tries to ignore the disappointment in his honey eyes.

"We need to discuss last night- or very early this morning, rather." Theodore leans forward, bracing his arms on his thighs.

He has discarded his jacket, his white shirtsleeves rolled to his elbows.

Enid tries not to think about how just his arms alone kindle a small fire inside her.

"How did you know to look in the filing cabinet?" Dante's question draws her from distraction.

She shifts in the seat, wondering if she should tell them.

And if so, how much- she doesn't want to get Graham in trouble.

"I think I'm the one who should be asking questions." She crosses her arms.

"Why don't we take turns? You ask and we'll answer honestly. But only if you do the same." Alexander offers.

Enid looks at them and slowly nods.

"Almalfi told me. Why did you have all those documents about me? Where did you get them?" The file had been haunting her since she opened it.

Dante inhales sharply, shock lighting each of their faces.

"Where did you see Almalfi?" He demands, his brows furrowed angrily.

Enid snorts, shaking her head.

"Nope, it's your turn to answer." She gestures toward them.

Theodore sighs, running a hand through his hair, "We had those compiled the first month we met you. I know it may seem like a breach of privacy, but we just wanted to make sure you were safe and in good health. When we realized you had moved to America by yourself for university, we got a little concerned and just wanted to make sure you weren't... running from anything."

"We did it with your wellbeing in mind, Enid. We're overprotective brutes who knew you were it for us. Getting that stuff was just part of us ensuring that you'd be ours." Dante chimes in.