Tempo

Hello lovely readers!

Hope you've all had a wonderful weekend!

This chapter felt quite tricky to write, so please let me know your thoughts!

☘ ☘ ☘

By the time that Dr. Drewitt arrived, Enid was sitting in the chair on the stage with her cello ready.

He wore a dark suit with a golden tie today, his blond curls windswept and in a charming disarray.

He smiled as he approached her, his fire eyes alight in the golden light.

Her breath hitched as she realized again how impossibly handsome this man was.

She blushed from her thoughts and the memory of his embrace the day before.

"Hello, Enid." He said as he climbed the last of the steps and stood before her.

"Good afternoon, sir." She responded with a sweet smile.

"I've thought some about how I'd like these classes to go. The dean has requested that you perform at the Winter Gala in December. That gives us around four months to prepare you for it, which is far more than we will need. Do you wish to perform?" He asked her, his tone warm.

She nodded hesitantly.

Performing in front of strangers was still a relatively new experience for Enid.

Long gone were the days in which her father was the only person she played for.

However, she endeavored to master the nerves she felt toward it.

And to make her professor proud, of course.

"Good." His smile grew. "Well, today I want to do a test of sorts. Find out your threshold. That way we can push it even further."

Enid's palms began to sweat.

"The song you played for me last week, did you write that?" He asked as he walked down the stairs to sit in his seat in the first row.

Her audience of one.

"Yes, I write most of the music I play." Roses bloomed on her cheeks.

Dr. Drewitt shook his head in amazement.

"It was the most beautiful piece I've ever heard." His voice and eyes showcased his honesty, otherwise Enid would've thought he was lying.

"I-I, thank you so much." She felt her eyes glisten as she held back tears.

Such praise from one of the most talented musicians in the world left her breathless.

"Will you play me another of your pieces?" His hopeful grin contrasting the command in his voice.

Although he seemed to be the kindest of the three men, he still had a dominating presence.

"Of course," she smiled nervously at him before steadying her grip on the cello.

She had been working on a new piece the past few days.

If she was honest with herself, it was inspired by the three men that had abruptly become a center focus of her thoughts.

Her eyes fluttered shut as they usually did when she played.

She raised the bow with grace and drew it nimbly along the strings.

From the moment she laid eyes on Dr. Easton, the notes had begun to swirl in her mind.

Blue eyes, strength, power, control.