Screens

Sorry for the cliffhanger last chapter!

I hope this update makes up for it.

》》》

Dante's emerald eyes held hers for a moment.

"Chief Samuels, how are you?" He asked, rising from his seat to shake the other man's hand.

The two stepped out into the hallway and Enid strained to hear what was being said.

Leaning back in her seat, she could see Dante's hand was curled into a fist.

"What does he need you for?" Emilia asked from beside her, her head also tilted to try to hear the conversation outside the door.

"Maybe it's about the article we're writing?" She responded uneasily.

"But wouldn't he talk to both of us?" Emilia's voice was as confused as Enid felt.

Nerves tangled in her throat.

"What do you need to speak with her about?" She was finally able to hear Dante's voice.

"Nothing serious, I just have a few questions I'd like to ask her." The chief said firmly.

"She shouldn't answer anything without a lawyer present." Her professor fired back, and Enid's eyes grew.

A lawyer?

"Oh, it's nothing requiring that. It'll only take a few minutes." Chief Samuels pushed and she heard Dante sigh.

The two reentered the world and Chief Samuels gave her a small smile.

Emotions danced across Dante's eyes before he pulled up his emotional wall.

His shoulders were tense, his arms crossed against his chest.

He looked eminently like Theodore for a moment.

"Go on ahead, Enid. Disciples, you can all go as well. Be ready to share your poem selection and papers on Wednesday." Dante nodded at her and she stood shakily from her desk.

Her eyes searched his for a moment and he gave her a small comforting smile.

"Text me and let me know what happened once you're done." Emilia patted her friend on the back as she exited the room.

Sliding her bag onto her shoulder, Enid followed Chief Samuels down the hall to a private study space that students could use.

Dante's jaw clenched tightly as he watched the two disappear from sight.

He whipped his phone from his pocket and irately slammed shut the door to his office.

Anger flashed hot in his chest and he gripped the sides of his desk to steady himself.

Cooling down slightly, he began the list of numbers he needed to call.

Orders were barked and messages were delivered.

For the next few minutes, his eyes darting anxiously between his watch and the door.

He was right on the verge of interrupting the meeting when a soft knock sounded.

Enid barely met his eyes as they walked to his car and only murmured a soft thank you as he opened her door.

She was quiet and reserved throughout the ride home and Dante did not broach the topic of what had transpired.

Better to wait until the other two were there as well.

As soon as they entered the estate, she darted upstairs to her room.