METING THE ADOPTED CHILD

CHAPTER 1: MEETING THE ADOPTED CHILD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all started when I was walking down Lamberry Rd to my simple, rundown, some what comfortable house. I was fine with where and how I lived. All my friends think I'm a poor orphan child but that's those " Prissy princesses of prissy prissiness". I'm not mean but those girls really need a smack into the reality zone. I don't have many friends other than my bunny, Cherry Blossom.

I open the door as the smell of fresh apple pies taunt my taste buds.

" Sakura!?! Come in the kitchen, I have a surprise for you!" called Mom.

I dropped my books on the floor and rushed into the kitchen to see a pale, short, and slightly creepy looking little girl eyeing me.

" Well Sakura, this is Rui. She'll be staying here with us for a couple of weeks while her mother is getting ready for her to come back," said Mom.

Now don't get me wrong, my Mom doesn't go around taking people's children. She works for the Send a Smile company which helps parents with their children while they get their lives back together instead of sending them to Social workers. So I guess that this "Rui" girl isn't so bad. She reeks of squirrel pee and looks like she hasn't had a bath in five years but, I'll work with it.

" I've set up a bed in your room, Sakura, so she'll be staying with you if that's fine. I've already put her stuff up there so if you wouldn't mind cleaning her up for dinner I would appreciate it," smiled Mom.

Of course I would do it. Mom raised me right and honestly, no on can say no to her. What's amazing is how much she does, considering her disability. You see, my Mom isn't just some amazingly nice super mom lady, she's permanently blind. She lost her sight in a car accident and ever since she's been relying on her hearing to help her. It's not as sad as you'd think. She's capable of everything I can do and more, honestly, we both think that in a way it's a blessing.

I walk with Rui up the stairs to help her unpack as we sit down in my- or our room.

" Well uh, Rui, how old are you?" I asked.

Silence.

" Rui? Well I guess we'll save the chat for dinner," I said as I gathered up some toiletries and headed for the bathroom. " Meet me in the bathroom okay Rui?" as I walked to the bathroom.

The door closed as Rui searched desperately for the Book of Home.