Chapter 7

Nolan sighed as he came out of his room, properly dressed up with pants this time and his hair combed. I was leaning against the wall outside his room, still wearing the same clothes that I was wearing before when I walked in. Nolan saw me and shook his head while I watched him with an amused expression. 

"You really should take care of your company properly before you take care of Emily," I retorted as he shrugged and put his hands into his pockets. 

"My company has always had the capability to run without my 24/7 presence, that's the way I built it. Unfortunately, this woman in particular is determined," he furrowed his eyebrows and started to make his way down the stairs but stopped and turned his head to me. 

"Would you like to come along?" he grinned at me like an inspiring idea had just formed in his head. I raised my eyebrow and stared at him. 

"Uh... say what?" 

"Come along! At least it won't make this lunch so boring and you could learn some things about our industry." he smiled, waiting with a bounce in his feet. I watched him, thinking about my answer. 

"You want me... to come along with you... on your lunch date with your staff?" I repeated once again to make sure. He nodded. 

"Yeah sure, why not?" I shrugged and followed him downstairs. 

***********************************************************************************************

As soon as we sat down in the fancy restaurant that Nolan had insisted on driving to, Padma had taken out her tablet, readying herself for a presentation to him. Nolan rolled his eyes at me and gestured to a waiter. 

I sat down comfortably at my seat while observing the place, a habit of mine under the training of my father. We were on a large open area next to the docks, surrounded by a sea of white cloth tables, decorated with flowers in petite vases. Posh waiters walked around, waiting to refill drinks and serve food while rich-looking customers sat and chatted, making me feel slightly out of place with my plaid shirt and jeans. 

After Nolan had finished ordering for us, he sighed heavily, turned to Padma and gave a 'Go on' look. She bristled with excitement as she turned her tablet on. 

"I just want to let you know, just because I came along to listen to...whatever you're going to say, does not mean I'm going to hire a CFO," Nolan insisted. Padma ignored him and tapped away at her tablet. I leaned back, amused, watching the two. This was going to be good. 

I listened in as Padma gave an excellent presentation of each CFO candidate, giving Nolan the pros and cons and telling him how they could contribute to the company. 

I had to admit, Padma was good at what she did. Each presentation she did was convincing and it even had my judgement swaying. But Nolan was a force to be reckoned with and he kept the same expression on his face the entire time. Padma was stubborn and moved onto the last one. 

"Alan Alergent, former CFO of a six billion dollar telecommunications com-" 

"Six bill is a lemonade stand," Nolan cut her off as he played with his chocolate cake. Annoyed at how disrespectful Nolan was acting, I gave a glare and he caught my eye and shrugged just slightly. 

But he's right. It's a lemonade stand compared to his company. 

He dropped the fork and stared straight into Padma's eyes. 

"Pass," 

I glanced over at Padma who gave a look of disbelief and defeat. 

"Look.... no matter how impressive the resume...... none of them get the job, because none of them are me," Nolan said with an exasperated expression. Rolling my eyes, I picked up my cup.