Chapter 6

I grunted in pain as Emily's kick landed square on my stomach. Acting quickly, I grabbed her leg and twisted it, forcing her to turn and face away from me. I tripped her other leg and she started to fall. The leg that I was grabbing kicked me down and we both went down. We stopped, both of us breathing heavily as we lay on the mat. 

"You've improved," Emily managed between pants. I didn't answer and simply tapped the mat. She chuckled and patted me on the shoulder before getting up and reaching for one of the bottles that sat on the wooden floor. Emily had this wonderful secluded large wooden balcony where we could just pull out mats and practise on it. She said she set it up to train or just relax. 

"Feel better?" she asked me. I looked up at her with a raised eyebrow. 

"What do you mean?" I purposely turned away from her, the nervous feeling back in my stomach as Aiden's face flashed in my mind. 

"Ever since you saw Charlotte being locked away, you seemed to be... down," Emily explained as she took another gulp from her waterbottle, standing at the edge of the balcony, staring out into the sea. I watched her back, feeling slightly touched that Emily was giving me so much attention. I cleared my throat and reached for my own waterbottle. 

"Yeah, I guess it was good to release some stress," I told her as the image of Charlotte being pulled away flashed in my head. Which reminded me about what Emily was bothered about. 

"What about you?" I asked. Emily shifted uncomfortably but remained silent. 

"Finding out that Victoria is alive is never an easy thing to get over," I continued. She sighed and put the bottle down onto the wooden balcony rail. She reached up to her pony tail and pulled the rubber band out, letting her golden blonde hair out. 

"It's not. But because of her, there's hope," she said quietly.  Aiden's words echoed in my head from last night as I considered what to say next. 

"Ever thought of just... giving up? Just living in peace instead?" my voice was cautious. I half-expected a sudden angry outburst from Emily for suggesting such a thing but she simply shook her head as she looked me dead in the eye, her determined eyes now burning. 

"I can't let them hurt anybody else. Not after what happened to my father. No more innocent men or women are to go down because of them," she told me, her voice laced with hate and determination. Not sure with what to reply, I remained silent and stared at the mats as I sat on it. Emily sighed and she gave me a smile. 

"Come on, I'm hungry. Hopefully Nolan cooked something for us," she said and offered a hand. I grabbed it and she pulled me up. She ruffled my hair and put her hand around my shoulder. 

"Don't you worry about it, Natasha. This is my problem only, not yours. I'm glad that you're here to help but it doesn't mean that you have to get so upset about it," she said kindly, the Emily who I treated as an older sister appearing again. I returned her smile and nodded as we headed off back to her beach house. 

******

"I was wondering where you ladies went off to. Turns out you went to do some ninja business," Nolan joked with a raised eyebrow as he eyed our training gear. I laughed as Nolan offered us plates of bacon and eggs. We both sat and Emily tilted her head at Nolan.

"Wow, Nolan, who knew that you could actually be helpful in my house?" Emily said as Nolan shrugged, gesturing to his apron. 

"Order up and let Chef de Nolan handle it," he chuckled. Emily rolled her eyes and grinned at him. I couldn't help but watch the two in awe. Emily, one of the most determined and serious women that I have ever met in my life joking with Nolan Ross, the young mastermind of Nolcorp. Exactly what have I walked into?