Chapter 6 - PART III

I sighed heavily, Declan's words once again ringing in my head as I climbed up the stairs of Emily's house. 

I think I might have found a reason to move on though 

I felt my face burn as the butterflies once again exploded in my stomach. No way right? There's no way that he meant me, right? 

Instinctively, without thinking, I swung open the door and left it open as my feet somehow made its way towards the kitchen. 

"Nat! Welcome back!" Nolan cut into my thoughts like a sharp knife, surprising me. I whipped my head up to look at him, resulting in me walking straight into the corner of the kitchen bench. I wheezed as my hands immediately flew to where I stabbed myself. Nolan watched in amusement with a raised eyebrow, leaning against the kitchen bench with his back facing me. 

"An agile quick ninja walks into a table? That's a first," he grinned as I glared at him. 

"Shut up," I muttered, straightening myself and sitting on one of the kitchen chairs. I gestured to the tablet that Nolan was watching. 

"What's up?" 

"Ah... Charlotte is about to walk in on Victoria with a bank account balance of..." Nolan lifted his head up, making it seem like he was thinking. "zero," he gave a mischevious smile. But his humour was the last thing on my priority list. My stomach churned a little as I thought about poor Charlotte and her falling prey to Emily's plan. Declan's face flashed in my head, and once again, my face burned up. 

"You okay there?" Nolan asked as he watched me. He put his hand on my cheek. "You're burning up," 

My eyes widened and I immediately swiped his hand away gently. 

"Don't be such a dad, Nolan, I already have one," I joked, trying to brush it off. But Nolan wasn't fooled and kept staring at me with concerned eyes until he looked down at the tablet once more and jumped. 

"Holy crap, I have to call Ems," he muttered as he reached for his phone and quick dialed Emily. I shifted a little so I could see the surveillance video of Victoria, sitting and staring at what seemed to be a passport. She then jumped when the door knocked and an easily recognized voice called out. 

"Mum?" 

Victoria's eyes widened as she whipped her head to the door and stood up, walking towards it. 

"Charlotte?" she opened it and the two embraced in a tight hug. 

"Oh my god, it's you," she said, kissing her on the cheek, a relieved expression on her face. My chest tightened at the scene. 

I've never embraced a mother's love. Not once. My mother died when I was extremely young. The only memory I have of her is a blurry image of her and my father underneath the sakura trees back at home. Seeing this... felt strange... and made me feel slightly jealous of Charlotte. I tightened my fist, ignored these weird feelings and continued watching the live video. 

"Are you alright? I've been worried half to death about you," Victoria examined her daughter, stroking her hair. Charlotte sighed in frustration as she began to walk into the cabin and explain the current situation. 

"Doctor Thomas confiscated my phone. He was working for dad," she stopped and turned as she prepared to reveal the worst news. 

"They took everything, mum. My inheritance is gone," I could see the colour drain from Victoria's face as her expression grew worried and almost... scared. 

"All of it?" 

"Dad had a judge declare me mentally unfit," 

"Oh, that pig is even more despicable than I ever imagined," she murmured softly, turning away.