44. Justice

Hans had deteriorated considerably during his night in the dungeon. He was dirty, his eyes had a hunted look about them, and the chains, although Ayla had taken care to have them freed of rust, had left red welts on his wrists and ankles.

Without much care, the two guards dragged him before Lady Ayla and forced him down on the floor. Ayla had to restrain herself not to jump up from her seat and help the man to his feet. Seeing anyone cowering in front of her on the floor like that, like some sort of slave…

He betrayed you, she forced herself to remember, concentrating on the bitter fact as hard as she could. He betrayed everybody you care about. You cannot feel pity for him. You must judge him.

But she also remembered her secret conversation with the traitor down in the dungeon, and remembered his reasons for the betrayal: three reasons, which to him eclipsed the rest of world. His family. His everything.

For a moment, Ayla wondered what it would be like to have children. Would she go as far in protecting them? An image appeared in her mind of Reuben, holding her in her arms together with a tiny bundle wrapped in white linen blankets. Her heart ached at the image, and when she looked at Hans again, there was no anger in her, only sadness.

“Greetings, Hans,” she said.

The man on the floor bowed his head until it touched the cold stone.

“Greetings, Milady. Have you brought me here to pass judgment on me?” He sounded as though he had been expecting it.

Ayla hesitated, and that hesitation seemed to terrify Hans. He crept forward a few inches.

“Please, Milady, I don't care if it's quick or slow, but please, don't let my wife and children see it. Don't make them watch. I don't want them to see it, please.”

“See what?” Ayla asked, her brow furrowed, her sadness momentarily driven away by confusion.

Hans seemed no less confused.

“Well... my execution, of course.”

“Execution? I'm not going to execute you!”

“You aren't? But down in the dungeon you said...”

“I said that I could execute you, not that I would! I was angry, and upset, and didn't...” her voice dwindled away, as she didn't know what more to say.

“But,” Hans continued hesitantly, daring to look up at her, “isn't death the customary punishment for treason?”

“Yes, I suppose it is,” Ayla mumbled, staring down at her hands.

“Then what are you waiting for, Milady?”

“Dear Lord, man! Do you want to be executed? You seem to be asking for it!”

Hans looked down again, shame spreading on his face. “I deserve it.”

“No doubt about that,” Ayla agreed, despondently.

“So are you going to do it?” Hans pressed.

No answer formed on Ayla’s lips. In truth, she did not know what she was supposed to do. Yes, this man had betrayed her people, his people, yes, he deserved to die. And yet, he was Hans. A man who had lived in the castle and been around her since she had been four or five years old. A man with family. She couldn’t just hang him.

It occurred to her that maybe her attitude wasn't quite fair, considering she had been perfectly willing to dangle Reuben from the highest tower of the castle by his neck, just for stealing a horse. But that had been before she knew who he was. Knowing people, it appeared, always made the difference.