43. Sworn Bond

The news spread like a wildfire through the castle: Lady Ayla was going to make a proclamation. Or at least the news spread like a wildfire would have spread in a castle if it had been made out of wood and not solid stone: very, very fast. Nobody knew exactly what the proclamation would be about, but nobody was very hopeful. Since the death of Sir Isenbard, nothing seemed certain anymore.

Ayla stood at the top of the steps in front of the keep and surveyed the crowd around her. She noticed the mixed apprehension and hope on their faces. She noticed, too, how both facial expressions vanished abruptly, morphing into awed terror, when the people's gaze landed on the giant blood-red figure behind her.

“My vassals,” Ayla called out. “My people, my friends. As you know, we all lost a dear friend not long ago. With Sir Isenbard’s death, we also lost the commander of our forces. I have called you here together today for a matter that is very important, indeed essential for our survival: the choice of his successor.”

She paused for a moment, taking a deep breath.

“I have made my choice. Since your lives hang in the balance here, just as much as or even more than mine, you deserve to know right away.”

Ayla saw the eyes of the crowd flit from Sir Waldar to Captain Linhart, and then, with an expression of incredulity, on Sir Rudolphus, all gathered around her. Which of her vassals would their lady choose?

“Step forward,” Ayla commanded, “Sir Reuben Rachwild.”

Murmurs of surprise and confusion went up all around her at the unfamiliar name, but cut off abruptly, as the giant figure in crimson metal stepped forward, and knelt before Ayla.

“Some of you,” she proclaimed to the crowd, “know this man as Reuben, the merchant. Yet that is not who he truly is. He is Sir Reuben, a knight, tried and tested in battle many, many times, a terror to his enemies. When he was surprised in the forest by the Margrave's troops, before the siege began, he fought an entire battalion, nearly forty of our enemies, and slew them to a man!”

Eyes widened, and gasps could be heard from all sides. Ayla saw Reuben smile behind his visor. He was enjoying this immensely, the arrogant son of a… And she would have to keep boosting him, no matter how much he smirked!

“Grievously wounded, he lay unconscious in the forest, where I found him, and brought him back here to Luntberg castle. Over the last few weeks, he concealed his identity from us, not knowing whether we were friend or foe and fearing for his life. But a short while ago he revealed himself to me and offered his aid. And since then, he has more than proven his worth.”

Holding up a hand, she began to count.

“He broke into the enemy camp in the middle of the night, killing dozens of enemy guards and stealing weapons and horses. He rescued me from the enemy when they intruded into the castle to abduct me. He has even, he has told me,” she finished with a look at Reuben who managed to look somewhat guilty and disgustingly cocky at the same time, “overcome Sir Isenbard himself in a duel.”

Several people in the audience nodded at that, and began to whisper to others. Relief swept through Ayla. Thank the Lord there had been eyewitnesses to that contest!

“He is a paragon among knights,” she declared. “A warrior the likes of which has not been seen since the days of Roland or Lancelot. Not only that, but he has commanded entire armies in battle. He is trapped in this castle just as much as we are. He has already proven his loyalty to our cause beyond all doubt. For all those reasons and more besides, I have decided to offer him a place among my vassals, and to make him the commander of all my armed forces.”