chapter10

stepping into the warehouse that served as the main arena and front room of the gym ash had to close his eyes for a moment to let his eyes adjust to the strength of the lights before he was able to see the room properly again.

"well, well, well, look what we have here, another little baby has coem to challange me, think your ready fr this do you kid?" a deep an booming voice called out from across the room drawing ash's attention to the group that stood there.

it was a group of two men, one woman, and a large raichu. while the shorter man and woman looked like they were some of the gym trainers wearing camo clothing with army boots and looking like they would be right at home on a military base's boot camp the man in the middle was huge. the  tall blonde man in the middle toward over tthe other two and was built like a thick wall of muscle that showed how seriously he took his training but the bigest surprise was the fact that his raichu was riding around on his shoulder without any difficulty dispite the pokemon being the same size as a eight year old child and weighing at least sixty pounds.

"well kid are you ready to battle or not? I'm lt. surge and this here is my gym if you want to make it past me and earn your self a lightning badge then your gunna have to stop day dreaming runt!" surge shouted out before bellowing with laughter as he noticed the glare ash was giving him for the comment on his height, he might have accepted that he was going to be following his mother when it came to height but that didn't mean that it was any less of a sore subject for him when people brought it up.

"alright then my name's ash ketchum from pallet town and I'm here to challenge you to a gym battle" ash said with confidence as he stepped up to the challangers box unwiling to let the leutenent know just how nervous he really was about facign the giant man.

"well at least it looks like you've got a back bone in you, lets see how long that lasts, to the feild raichu!" surge bellowed out as the raichu jumped off his shoulder and landed in the center of the arena.

"ready for battle nidoran" ash said calmly as hetried to calm his racing heart so he could focus entirly on the fight. like the other gyms he had been in the terain of the arena was designed for whatever would suit the gym leaders perfered type best, with surges known love of the electric type that meant the ground of the arena was going to be completely flat leaving nothing for an opponent to hide behind and no way for them to escape a hit unless they managed to dadge it.

it was a risk for surge to use such a battle field considering it also favored psychics and ground types, the first was always a dangerous opponent to face but the second type was the main weakness of the electric types. electric pokemon were usually small and thin creatures built for speed with quick stricks so they could get in and out of any situation quickly but when they were put against a ground type their weak deffense and light bodies usually made them easy pickings for the usualy stocky and robust ground types who had evolved to withstand anything their suroundings could throw at them in the wide empty plaines that they called home.

"look at that a baby pokemon for a baby trainer" surge called out before laughing again with the other two trainers at his side and even the raichu looked like it was about to start laughing at them. nidoran may be looked down on until they reach their second evolution but they were extremely fast and while they didn't hold the gound typing yet the little guys were still incredibly durible as they needed to be in order to keep up with the rest of their herd.

"don't count us out just yet we may still surprise you" ash called out, while he couldn't come in to watch rence's battle against the gym leader there were a few things he had heard rumors about concerning surge and his battle style and a few things he had figured out by watching the way his raichu moved.