Chapter 4 - the viridian forest

Ash hummed lightly as he walked under the giant trees that viridian forest was known for while his pokemon scampered around him as they traveled, nidoran and houndour were happily playing together as they ran thru the bushes at the edges of the path while gastly was following along with the rest of the ghost types that were floating around the forest.

Kitsune and meowth had decided that they would be staying with ash and walking beside him on their way thru the woods, Kitsune simply had no wish to play and frolic with the others while meowth was confused and trying to work thru a few things in his head. Less than twenty four hours ago he had been sitting with Jessie and James trying to help them improve so the boss would be proud of him and now he was here basically given to a teen that the boss saw potential in.

Meowth had nearly had a heart attack when Giovanni had asked ash if he could take a look at how the scratch cat pokemon was doing, meowth figured he was about to be killed for getting caught but was shocked when the boss had indeed looked him over for injuries. To say the boss had been mad about his condition was an understatement and after a quick talk with ash and nurse joy meowth wasn't surprised, nurse joy had been appalled to know that Jessie and James had just been feeding him human food instead of pokemon food.

Most human food didn't contain enough nutrients to healthily support a pokemon especially not if they battled regularly, some foods that was safe for humans to eat could also be poisonous for a pokemon if its eaten often enough. Nurse joy had taken an even closer look at him only to find that while his walking on two legs was impressive it was also dangerous for him, meowth hadn't even considered that he might be harming himself by walking the way he did but according to the nurse if he didn't return to walking as a meowth should he might lose the ability to walk at all.

The scare of that news had been enough for meowth to simply sit thru the other exams that the humans wanted to run as he tried to understand what might have happened if ash hadn't taken him and allowed the tests to be preformed, at one point when ash and nurse joy had left the room to talk Giovanni had approached the exam table that meowth was sitting on.

"meowth" Giovanni had said in order to get his attention and waited for the cat to look up at him.

"it was a mistake on my part to place you with Jessie and James, it was asking to much to expect you to balance out their flaws and fault so instead I have a new mission for you. ash is a trainer I see great potential in and he seems to want to keep you so from now on I want you to obey his orders to the best of your abilities, I have no doubt that he will be able to train you into an incredibly powerful pokemon"

And just like that meowth had been given to the teen to train as he saw fit, meowth had been more than a little scared by the thought of what ash might have him do but so far the teen had been nothing but kind to him. They had been training constantly with each other and while meowth found it difficult to remember the doctors orders to stay on four legs ash had yet to get mad at him, the boy was constantly helping meowth with his attacks and at the end of the day meowth was given a large meal after his fur was brushed.

Traveling with ash was turning into a dream come true for the stray ally cat and meowth just couldn't understand any of it, ash had powers of his own and an army of ghost types why would he want to spend his time training a simple meowth.

*you know if you keep thinking so loudly ash might just hear you* meowth jumped as Kitsune stepped up beside him.

"i don't knows what yous talken about" meowth denied as he turned to see that ash was distracted by houndour who had apparently found a strange pokemon in the river.

*sure you don't, listen meowth ash is a very kind hearted soul who only wishes to do his b est and unlike many humans he strives to make sure his pokemon can be the best they can be safely, i have been with ash and his mother for years as a pokemon who sought refuge at their sanctuary after I was stolen and almost turned into breeding stock if it hadn't been for the league trainers* meowth nodded silently as he and Kitsune followed ash and the others to the river.