The Throne Legacy ~ Chapter 4

After Riku's narrative the rest of this chapter was written by me (ShardsOfGlass) alone. As times are very busy for all of the author's at the present time, for the time being this story will be written just by me. However if this changes at any time I will give appropriate credits to the other authors.

Chapter 4

The early morning air was calm and cool with not a breath of wind to speak of. The dark skies from the past few days lingered, continuing the solemn feeling spread through the kingdom.

There was barely anyone awake at this point; most of the castle was still sound asleep, save for the knights posted on guard duty. But down in the training grounds, one man was more than awake.

Constantly shifting positions between five upright logs standing in an x shape, Riku skilfully swung the wooden sparring sword, landing strike after strike. His face was one of anger and concentration, his thoughts consumed by anger towards the other royals, those who would disregard Nikita out of sheer greed.

With an angry shout, the Duke landed what would have been a killing blow to the centre log, finally pausing to catch his breath. Those knights that were awake knew not to interrupt him when he trained this hard: everyone knew the stories.

Sighing, Riku wiped the sweat from his brow and walked away, placing the wooden sword in a barrel along with all the others. He reached the chair which he had left his cloak on when he noticed someone else nearby.

“Do you ever sleep?” Asked Lady Helena, a somewhat sly look on her face. She was leant against one of the buildings bordering the training courtyard, studying him curiously.

What she was doing awake at this hour Riku had no idea, though knowing her family’s history, it was to aid herself in some way. “What are you doing here, Helena?” Riku asked.

Her lips curled into a smile. “I can go where I please for whatever reason I want. My business is my own.”

“As is mine,” Riku replied sharply, his hand resting casually on the hilt of his sword.

Helena’s hazel eyes followed the movement then snapped back up to his face. “You don’t need that, Riku. I don’t know why you carry it around everywhere.”

“Call it insurance,” he replied, eyes narrowing.

Helena twirled a strand of red hair around her finger. “Of course,” then she leant forwards and whispered: “Better safe than sorry, eh?”

“Something like that. Goodbye, M’lady.” Deciding he’d heard enough, Riku put on his dark green cloak in one fluid motion before walking back into the castle. To his annoyance however, Helena had chosen to accompany him. “Do you have a reason for following me, M’lady?”

“Oh,” Helena replied, acting innocent. “I just wanted to see if you were okay. After all, these have proven to be taxing days.”

“I’m sure you have more important matters to attend to than me,” Riku said then murmured, “like sewing or doing your hair.”

The feigned kindness faded from Helena’s face as she aimed a glare at Riku. “That wasn’t funny. And besides, I was being serious.” She moved closer then. “It must be hard having all of this stress to deal with all by yourself.”

“I am not alone in this,” Riku said, taking a step away from Helena. “And I can handle a few upset nobles. That said,” he sighed. “I appreciate your... concern.”

Helena considered his words for a moment before offering a small smile and bow. “You are quite welcome, Duke Riku.”

Riku turned to carry on walking and heaved open the doors to the castle, leaving Lady Helena watching him from the edge of the training grounds. He walked swiftly, passing servants as they readied the castle for the coming day. Riku mostly ignored them, making his way once more to Nikita’s chambers. He knocked on her door, waiting for a moment before entering.