The Throne Legacy ~ Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The news of the King’s death had all but reached every corner of Incasta, the wailing of his people echoed through the streets and even reached the heavens above. Black was the colour that clouded the streets with its gloom, the mood of the people a somber one.

A figure stood in the shadows of the main courtyard, his arms folded across his chest, his shoulders tense. Duke Riku looked up into the grey clouded sky and sighed. A drop of rain pelted his cheek and in his black mourning uniform, he made a break for cover before it decided to pour. It truly was fitting weather for a loved man’s funeral.

*

In the towers of Incasta’s grand castle, now bleak grey stone behind the lashing rain, Princess Nikita was preparing for her father’s funeral, her maid Mylene tending rather quietly to her hair. Outside the sound of the bells echoed through the room, their long low tones lingering in the somber air.

“Do you think they will accept me at the funeral?” she asked, staring at her maid through the large vanity mirror.

Mylene offered her a smile, her fingers twisting Nikita’s long black hair into a loose arrangement at the back of her head. Nikita stared at Mylene through the mirror, seeing the maid’s concentration and hoping she might answer.

“You know that you will, your highness, you’re the rightful heir of course,” Mylene replied, offering one of her kind smiles for the second time.

Nikita smiled back, in her heart she secretly began to wish her parentage wasn’t as troublesome.

Dressed in a long black dress, with jewels stitched into the bodice and long floating sleeves, she stood. Mylene clapped her hands in adoration, Nikita grinned, daring not to breath in the tightly fitted dress.

“It’s such a charming dress,” Mylene added.

“I love dresses!” Nikita said happily, the sadness suddenly banished. “I cannot wear a simple dress without making it stand out a little more than it should.”

There was a knock at the door and as Nikita looked at reflection one more time Mylene went to answer.

“Good morning, your highness,” Duke Riku said, bowing in the doorway. “I’ve come to escort you to the funeral, it’s not the right...mood...for you to be walking with just your maid.”

Nikita frowned, she knew today would have its problems, but was it really necessary for Riku to escort her?

“I suppose,” she sighed.

Nikita followed the Duke out of her chamber, Mylene close behind them. The castle’s many corridors were mostly empty, only the sound of the bells could be heard from the castle’s main tower, echoing through the stone halls.

“What do you think will happen now, Riku?”

“What do you mean, Princess?” he asked from beside her.

“Sedar is the heir to the throne,” Nikita said. “But what if...well...he’s not exactly popular among the Royals.”

Riku frowned, “Neither is he the blood heir, and Strawberries is too young to rule too. She could be too easily...manipulated by the other Royals.”

Nikita chuckled, the image of Strawberries ruling and making everything better with cake and hugs popped into her head, if the girl was older she would certainly make a happy queen. However, thinking more seriously, she definitely understood what Riku was saying. But where did she stand?

“Don’t panic, Princess, everything will work out fine in the end. We shall wait and see what happens. I have a feeling it will be hard to predict what the other Royals will do. But I do fear for Sedar’s safety,” the Duke replied.