Chapter 1: Marissa

I sit in a new classroom with new people at a new school. I had just transferred to ITSC from my public school. It's not that it's a private school, it's a charter school. The only tension I have here is that my dad works here. I never had a close relationship with my dad. He was rarely there for me, kinda like Jasmine's. Except my dad didn't abuse me. Everyone knew my dad here, probably better than I do. The teacher walks up to the board and writes her name. She has brown hair that's kinda spiked back. She turns and acknowledges us. "Hello students. My name is Mrs. Nelleroni. I will be your homeroom teacher for the rest of the year. I recognize some faces but I would like one person at a time to stand up, say their name and how long they have been attending ITSC." She points at a girl with brunette hair and brown eyes. She looks really perfect. She stands and replies, "Jaryn Ubbels, 2 years." She sits and the person behind her stands up. I recognized her from my old school. "Lizzie Griforis." And it goes row by row. A few people catch my eye. One girl named Cassie Maricks looked like a potential friend. A black guy who was called Michael Barvel stood up. He seems to be really popular, because when he sat back down, he was talking to 5 other people. One of them had black hair and was really tall and skinny. When he stood up, he said his name was Danny. Another person who had orange hair as named Cristian. A Latino stood up with black hair swooped to the side. His name was Nathan. A girl with wavy hair a little darker than mine and with similar glasses was named Erica Handel. Then it was my turn. I stand slowly, my legs shaking. "Uh, Marissa Mellard. New to ITSC," I say and sit down. Mrs. Nelleroni smiles at me and says, "Welcome to ITSC. I hope you enjoy it here." I look over to that group of friends and they were whispering and looking at me. Oh great, I think to myself. I said something wrong didn't I. The last person went and we learned about the class. This year ended up being an amazing one. It had the one miracle that I had almost given up on. My clock stopped.

It happened in that class, when everyone had to go up to the other people and introduce themselves. I didn't realize it at first, but when school ended, I felt a pure silence. I searched my head for the ticking but it wasn't there. I didn't know who had made it stop, but it was someone in my class. And I was going to find out who.

Present Day

"No! No! Stop it! You can't force me! You have no right!" I struggle against the strong arms holding me down. I hear a door open and suddenly I'm airborne. I land on a floor that's similar to our gym floor. I know for a fact that I'm not getting out of here any time soon. The guy almost closes the door, opens it a little, and replies to my struggling. "Actually, you have no right to live." And with that, he closes the door. I sigh and lay on my stomach. I smile for a minute and reach into my back pocket. He forgot to strip me of my phone. Haha what an idiot. I unlock it and see two messages and one voicemail. I read the message from Jasmine. "Marissa, are you okay? I'm worried sick. Tyler's...gone. And I have so much to tell you. I really hope you're okay. Please, don't leave me. I love you. Text me back please! If you're alive..." I read the other message. It's from my boyfriend. "Rissa, baby are you okay? I miss you so much. I really hope you're okay. Get back to me soon. I'm really worried. But I know you're strong and can handle it yourself. I'll find you, I promise. I will always find you. I love you. Alright?" A tear runs down my face. The word "alright" is very special to us because it's our promise to be together. I wipe the sing tear and type, "Hi. Don't worry about me, I'm fine. But I'm in an insane asylum. They found me, baby. Find Jasmine and stay with her. I'm going to give her instructions. I love you too, baby. We'll be together, I promise. Alright." I open the voicemail from my mom, expecting to hear her sweet voice. But instead, her voice cracks, but she tries to keep me calm. "Hi, sweetheart. I just wanted to let you know that I am going to die today." I gasp as she swallows and breathes in. "I have a gun to my head at the moment. I just wanted to remind you that I love you and to take care of Jasmine. And I am so proud, baby girl. Just remember that. And lastly..," her voice changes to a command.  "They're coming Marissa. Take care of yourself. Live for me..." I hear a gunshot and the line goes dead. 

I drop my phone and collapse on the floor. I feel tears in my eyes but they won't fall. And that's when I realize I'm not alone.