Chapter 4: Kai

I vaguely remember what happened, but I do remember the conversation. I was at the grocery store and this man walks up to me. He's about 5'6 with brown hair slicked back to look like a wave. He casually looks at the chips that happen to be next to the ones I was looking at. He's dressed in a white tank top and board shorts. He's got a bit of a belly that looks like it's trying to poke out from under the shirt. He grabs a bag and turns to me. "Hey, what's up man? I'm Don." He holds out his right hand and I take it. "Kai, what brings you here?" He chuckles and pulls his hand away. I guess I should've seen something suspicious. "Ahh, the wife is pregnant. She's got cravings for Doritos and doughnuts. It's funny because her name is Dorothy." He shakes his head and throws the bag into a cart and pockets his hands. "Well, what can you do? I guess you can't really blame anyone but me. You see, the protection broke and---" I hold up my hands. "Okay man, I've heard enough. I'm only 13." I grab the chips and bolt away. I turn the corner and stumble a little bit. What was that? I wonder. It was probably just me being myself and tripping over nothing. I gain my balance and head to the counter. I ring up my stuff and gather the two big bags. I walk out of the store and feel the bag in my right hand start to slip. I feel like my brain is seeping away and I start to forget stuff. I keep Jasmine's name in my head for as long as I can so I don't forget. I grip the bag harder and make my way to the woods, one painful step at a time.

I've been thinking a lot the past few days. Especially about my sister, Sarah. What's gonna happen to her? She doesn't have a clock, so would she get punished? What about my parents? I can't stand being this blind. I sit on a bench and take out my phone. 93%. I should be good for a little as long as I don't use it too often. I message Jasmine saying ""Jasmine, I'm so sorry about your arm! You were asleep and I couldn't wake you so I had to cut your arm and make it look like you were dead so they wouldn't kill you. I'll be back at 8 with food." I then open up Instagram and go into my DMs. I see a picture from Sarah. She comments, "Okay, Kai, I just want to make sure you haven't died. I heard about the war brewing. You still have a home here. You're always welcome. Please come home. Mom and Dad are worried sick. We hate not knowing. Reply please." I reply immediately. "I'm okay, I promise. But I have to talk to you. We're making our way to North Carolina. We're in Georgia and traveling on foot but we'll be there. See you soon. I promise." I type those last words with caution. How can I promise that I'll see them soon? Jasmine and I have people finding us every day and we have to travel on just foot. It's a miracle we've made it this far with only a few bruises. But I already sent the comment. I have to stay alive. For Sarah.

I remember one time when Sarah and I were at the beach. She was about 9 and I was turning 8. It was my birthday. We had three tents set up next to each other. The surfboards were lined up sticking out of the sand; mine being the smallest. The waves were sick that day. We had the cake in the sand to take a picture of it. Stupid mistake. We misjudged the tide and a wave came and slammed down on the cake. But you know what? That was one of the best days of my life. We all were covered in sand and water. We took the buckets that we had brought and filled them with water, drenching everything in sight. For once, my parents put down their cameras and joined in on the fun. But that wasn't the only reason it was a great time. It was the last day that I didn't have the ticking in my head.

At first, I didn't know what it meant. But overtime, I learned from the internet that it ticks until the moment you meet your soulmate. I thought everyone had them. So I asked Sarah about hers. Her face paled and she put her hand over my mouth. She took my arm and pulled me into the room we shared. She sits me down on my bed and sits in a chair next to it. "Kai, this is going to scare you. But it's real. You may never speak of that again. That's dangerous. People hate it when people are different." I raise my hand like I'm in a classroom. She seems anxious but points to me. "So not everyone has one?" She shakes her head. "There are special people with special abilities. But the government and society think it's bad. It's not bad to us though. Because we know the great freedoms that come with it. So, no, Kai. I don't have a ticking, or clock if you will. But that doesn't mean I love you any less. And I will protect you until the end of time." She stands up and I stand up as well. She puts her hand on her heart; a little ritual we do. "Do you, Kai Delorenzo, accept what your elder sister is saying and agree that I am beautiful?" I place my hand on my heart and reply. "Yes, I, Kai Delorenzo, accept what said elder sister is saying, but I do not agree that she's beautiful." She takes her hand off of her chest and sighs. "Why do I even bother?" And then she tackles me. 

I feel a numbness in my right hand. I should've caught on, but it was too late. There was no guy, no wife with cravings, no protection. I have been used. There was a tracker that is now absorbed into my skin. I curse and debate whether I should go to Jasmine or not. I choose yes. I can explain it to her. Right?