Chapter 2: Michael

I stand in the place that I finally did it. As we like to call it, I made it into the stadium. I kissed my girlfriend. I remember she was leaning against the wall and I just went for it. Our lips pressed together and everything else stopped. We were in our own little world. That was one of the best days of my life. And now I lean on the wall, staring blankly at my phone. A message from Jasmine, my girlfriend’s cousin. “Michael, you have to do something. Please. They took Rissa. They found out. You have to help her. Please…” I can’t believe it. They took my Rissa. How did they find out? Does that mean I’m next? But our clocks stopped. How would they know? These thoughts cloud my mind and it takes me a second to acknowledge the light shining in my eyes.

I stand up slowly to see who’s holding the flashlight. Is it an enemy or a friend?

“Who are you?” The person calls out. I think I know who it is, but just to be sure, I speak.

“I think I should be asking you, considering you’re shining that light in my eyes. So, who are you?” I reply. They start to lower the light and turn it off. I see bright green eyes, which is about all I can see in the dark of the night. Of course, I think to myself. I should’ve known its Danny. 

“’Looking black as always, I see. I couldn’t even tell you were there.” He says. No, I don’t get offended by that. Danny’s my best friend. We’ve been avoiding the government for as long as we can remember. He doesn’t have anything wrong with him, minus acting like an idiot. His brother can read minds though. So he’s been helping him. He found out I was illegal when I was at his house and his brother read my mind. Apparently, when you can read another person’s mind, you can hear the ticking too. My face paled when he told me. Well, as pale as a black person can get. I remember looking down and saying, “Well, turn me in.” He crossed his arms. “Well, by that logic, I would have to turn my brother in. And that isn’t happening. So you’re free. But don’t worry; I’ve been avoiding the government for as long as I can remember. I can help you out!” I smiled and for the first time, I had a real friend. That was in 5th grade. 2 years before my clock stopped.

“Well, at least I’m not yellow. When you walk into a dark room, you just see your skin. It looks like you’re bald.” We both laugh. Mine isn’t that wholehearted though. And Danny notices. 

“Hey what’s going on?”

I just shrug. I don’t want to talk about it, in fear that I’ll cry. Then my phone goes off. “Cherry Blossom” shows up on the screen and I practically do a flip. Although, she would be better at flipping since she’s a gymnast. But regardless, she’s alive. I unlock my phone and read the message. 

"Hi. Don’t worry about me, I'm fine. But I'm in an insane asylum. They found me, baby. Find Jasmine and stay with her. I'm going to give her instructions. I love you too, baby. We’ll be together, I promise. Alright."

Just to lighten the mood, I reply with: “I always knew you would end up in an insane asylum. And I would rather be with you than take orders from Jasmine. Let me come get you.”

I click send and pocket my phone. I rise to my feet and look over at my best friend.

“Well, Danny, we have an insane asylum to break into.” I walk past him and he catches up to me. 

“I don’t know why we’re breaking into an insane asylum, and I don’t really care. Let’s go destroy some property!”