Orlind: Chapter Thirty-Four

Pensould was to make his home in Iskyr. He had always lived there before, and Llandry knew that he would never feel comfortable in Waeverleyne. He wasn't even comfortable in his human form, not really, despite his attempts to become so for her sake.

The prospect of leaving the Seven took some getting used to. Glinnery had always been her home, and she loved it whole-heartedly. The separation from her parents, too, was hard. Never had it occurred to her that she might do otherwise than marry someone from Waeverleyne and settle close to her parents' home. Part of her heart yearned to follow that old plan, and stay within the borders of Waeverleyne. She could visit Iskyr often; it would be perfectly possible to perform her role as envoy that way.

But she loved Iskyr, too, and as the time drew nearer for Pensould's departure her heart felt still more divided. She knew he would stay if she asked him to, but he would not be happy in her world. Could she be happy in his? And what of her parents? She was all that they had, or would ever have.

In the end, it was her mother who decided the issue. 'You must do what will make you happiest, love,' she said, with a smile both sad and proud. 'And you know we'll always be here.'

Llan looked at her father.

'You know where you should be,' he said gruffly. 'Know it as well as we do.'

He was right. They were both right.

When Pensould left her parents' house, she followed him.

'What's this, Minchu?' he said, smiling down at her. 'Are you coming with me?'

'Yes,' she said, wrapping her arms around him and holding him close. 'I'm going with you.'

Pensould beamed. 'How fortunate that I came prepared.' Releasing her, he dug in a pocket and produced a slightly squashed nara-fruit. This he presented to her with a flourish.

'Thank you,' Llandry said doubtfully. 'What's this?'

Pensould's smile grew radiant. 'Edible goods, Minchu, and all for you.'

A questing nose appeared over the lip of her carry pouch and Sigwide climbed out.

Food? he queried.

Pensould sighed. 'All right, yes. For Master Sigwide too.'

***

As glad as Eva was to go home, she suffered some trepidation about it, too. She knew that the moment she returned there would be a thousand things requiring her attention. And she was right.

She was kept urgently busy as she told her various tales many times over, was consulted with by innumerable officials and ministers, and visited by every one of her friends, connections and acquaintances. She was astonished to realise how long she'd been away, and quite run off her feet with obligations.

None of that interfered with her immense satisfaction in being home.

A day after her return, an article appeared in one of the most popular of the city's gossip papers.

The long-absent Lady Glostrum has returned to Glour at last - and she's got a new wardrobe! We at the Society Week predict that her ladyship's trousers will be the biggest new trend we've seen in the past decade.

The article contained a quote she'd given to their lead reporter, and a large picture.

On the following day, Eva received a note from her tailor, Baynson. It was brief.

To Her Ladyship Evastany Glostrum:

Business has never been better. Thank you.

She immediately sent him an order for ten new pairs of trousers.