Chapter One

Heaven's glorious sun shined over Adohi Ava, the City of the Gods, and illuminated its great stone border walls, its towers, and its temples. It beat down on the streets, that teemed with businesses, homes, vendors, Gods and Goddesses of whom were old and new, from all over the world and from various histories and even futures. The aroma of their cultured foods, burning incense, and herded livestock combined with the smell of their hatred, hypocrisy and superciliousness was pungent even beyond its border.

A fortress as ancient as the ruins of Rome stood at the center of the city. It rose high enough to reach the stars, maybe even as far as Neptune, Venus or Pluto. The castle walls were said to be the strongest in all of Heaven, built using the same material that was used to forge Lucifer's trident. They were a glossy white trimmed with gold and jasper. On one side of the structure were a dozen beautiful gardens garnished with reds, yellows, purples, different vegetables and servants to pick them. On the other were crowds of subjects shouting and bickering, awaiting the formal address of their Queen.

"What if they don't listen to me, Ninat?" asked Daevi Kalika, as she peered at herself in the large body mirror, clothed in a traditional purple silk Sari. "Or rebel or just lash out or something?" Her hair was an ash black and long enough to reach her legs, and her lips were as red as roses. And her beauty? Unlike any other. The allure of the room reflected in the mirror was almost able to compete with hers. It was painted a golden brown, decorated with mostly red and yellow tapestries and an assortment of patterned rugs.

"You've been ruling for quite some time, your Majesty, I doubt anyone will lash out." answered Ninat. "You are Kali," Ninat had a short build, her weapon towered over her like a mountain. Her carbon black hair flowed past her behind, her eyes shined a bright yellow, and the armor of the Mahila Yoddhaon hugged her body tightly. She stood as a general would in the presence of her queen peering at her through the mirror careful not to make eye contact. Ninat went on. "Goddess of Death, Time and Doomsday and so on." She continued. "If anything, your majesty, they fear you. There is no need to worry."

"I don't want them to fear me, Ninat, that's the problem."

A few feet from them was a spacious, gold-speckled balcony looking out over the crowd of screaming subjects. Anxiety churned in Daevi's stomach and clawed at her throat. But suddenly, Ninat struck the marble floor beneath her twice allowing several of her subordinates to enter the room and head out to the balcony. "It is time, your majesty."

Daevi looked at her reflection one more time before she followed Ninat outside. Each soldier struck the floor three times before the crowd beneath them finally silenced. Her heart pounded against her rib cage and her muscles tensed up on their own. "Ol om g tol fafen noan conteritti od exterruit...fere ds ah di basgm ante. Angels uls step de ge muros...but da i ag opus de noan pavidus q paranoid. Par trian ge noan questus droln amplius quam a terminus...and ol trian eol sur—" (Translation (Enochian to English): I know you all must be frightened and confused...about what happened a few days ago. Angels did step to our walls...but there is no need to be scared or paranoid. They will not be getting any further than the border...and I will make sure)

An arrow sliced through the air, ripping through the heart of the soldier directly beside Daevi, sending her body up in flames and ash. Daevi stood there frozen, stunned, even a bit scared. Everything and everyone around them was silent for what seemed like an eternity. All she could do was stand there and stare at the ruin happening around her. Before she could attempt to ease the minds of her people, they began scattering, screaming, trying to escape the hail of flaming arrows raining down over the land.

"We're under attack!" shouted a soldier as she, along with her fellow warriors, jumped the ledge to aid the citizens.

Ninat grabbed Daevi immediately and ran toward the door. But they stopped dead in their tracks, hearing banging vibrate through it. They twirled, but their only other exit was blocked by a group of Angels. They whirled around once more but several more Angels had broken down the door, and with them, an elegant framed man blessed with soft brown hair and eyes, and porcelain skin. He was dressed in armor only fit for a high-ranking officer. Archangel Gabriel.

Ninat stepped out in front of Daevi, her spear pointed toward him. "How dare you trespass on this sacred land!?" She said peering directly into Gabriel's eyes.

The angels had their arrows and spears pointed at the pair.

"You know what I've come for." Gabriel finally answered. "All you have to do is hand it over and no harm will come to either of you."

"What is it you want, you winged rat?" Daevi asked, as she walked out from behind her and up to him. "You barge into my kingdom again, hurt my people and dare demand something from me? Such a mighty prince of Heaven, whom had to bring his flock just to ask something of a 'pagan.'"

He smirked up at her. "I want the jar, Kali."

"What jar do you speak of?" asked Ninat.

"You know what jar." He chuckled. "I gave the Greeks a little visit and to my surprise, they didn't have it, so you must be the only ones that do."

"Even if I did have it, I would never give it to you." She snapped. "Besides, it was destroyed eons ago."

"Kali, I really don't want to hurt you. I actually quite respect you and your species." He went on. "Such a simple minded race but still found a way to build all of this."

"Usually I'm a lot more...regal...you know? Lady-like," She went on. "but you and the rest of your heathens can go fuck yourselves!"

"Fine then," Gabriel lunged at her, gripping her by the throat, and lifting her from her feet. His smile was wide and wicked. "Your kingdom is going to burn and it's all because of your ego."

Ninat acted immediately in an effort to protect her but the other angels had surrounded her.

Gabriel carried her out to the balcony. "Killing you and your general is gonna be a big boost in morale."

"Kali!" Ninat yelled at the top of her lungs from the corner.

He dangled her over the ledge. The feeling of nothing beneath her feet made Daevi's heart race, her muscles tighten, her jaw lock in place and dry tears ran from her eyes. She was frozen again. She couldn't even bring herself to scream or even kick her legs. The smell of burning buildings, flesh and thick smoke invaded her nostrils and obstructed her breathing.

"You know Kali," He chuckled softly. "Man's fire can be doused and put out, but holy fire..." He went on. "It is relentless and burns until there's nothing impure left." He brought her closer to him. "Tell my niece and nephew I said hi." Gabriel cast her body from the ledge like she had been a ragdoll, and all Ninat heard was a blood-filled scream as she broke free of her attackers, sprinted toward the balcony and leaped.

It all happened in a flash. Her body ached: her neck felt like it had been broken, her spine felt twisted, and her brain felt like it was pounding against her skull. But she still found the strength to open her eyes. Golden ichor spewed from her left side, mouth and nostrils. Daevi groaned and coughed as she slowly but surely sat herself up. Fire, ash, debris and bodies surrounded her. The sight flooded her mind with anguish but she was in too much pain to produce tears. Though her hands felt the blood-warm, hard ground, the rest of her body felt a softer sensation. Ninat lay beneath her, the ichor spewing from her entire body.

"Ninat!" She shouted struggling to her knees and lifting Ninat's head from the pavement. "Ninat!?" She shook her a bit. "Ninat, wake up!"