Chapter 8

"I guess that's just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up." ― Lauren Oliver

xxxxxx

Saturday night was upon them before they knew it. Lucifer had not shown himself, neither had any of his followers. All they were doing was waiting for his move. They had been called from Christina's phone a few more times but had not answered, hoping that their silence would piss him off enough to make a mistake. Christina was sitting in the living room staring out of the window when Katherine came to join her. 'He only has one more night to attack.' She said.

'I know.' Christina replied.

'It's worrying me.' Katherine admitted.

'What is?' Christina asked, turning to her.

''The fact that he hasn't attacked the house yet. He know's we're here, and he's running out of time.' Christina digested the information and then looked to Katherine. 'What?'

'Oh no.' Christina said.

'Oh no, what?' Katherine asked, worried.

'He knows how we work, how we prepare for demons we know are going to attack the house.'

'The barriers, the extra potions.' Katherine agreed.

'So of course he's not going to attack here, how could I have been so stupid.' Christina stood just as Lauren and Dani rushed into the room.

'Put channel four on.' Lauren said, Christina doing so as Lisa and Amy joined them all. The television came to life and they were met with scenes of panic. A news reader was reporting on a building collapse at the edge of a park.

'Oh my God.' Amy said, sitting on the arm of the chair.

'Seventeen confirmed dead, at least double that injured.' Lisa read aloud from the running report at the bottom of the screen. Christina's grip was tightening around the controller.

'No one can explain the cause of the collapse, but a large fire was seen shortly before the lower support beams gave way.' The reporter said.

'He's baiting us.' Katherine said. 'He knows we won't stay in here behind our barrier if he's killing people.'

'He's definitely right about that.' Christina whispered.

'Hang on.' Dani lent towards the television. 'Why does that park look familiar?'

'It's in the middle of town.' Lauren said. 'You've been there before like a hundred times.' She reminded her.

'Oh yeah.' Dani remembered.

'It's the park where Noah, the real Noah, found out about my powers.' Christina told them. 'We would go there all the time, for walks and lunch. We took his dog.'

'Chris.' Lauren went to put a supportive hand on her arm but she abruptly switched off the television and turned to them all.

'Lisa, you have the spell?' She asked.

'Yeah, good to go.' Lisa confirmed.

'And we have the potions.' Lauren added, knowing that's what her sister was going to ask next.

'Great.' Christina let out a long breath. 'We're going to the park.'

xxxxxx

They walked into the park after the camera crews and news readers had left for the night. The recovery had finished, all building occupants accounted for, but the death toll had risen to twenty-one. The area around the building was marked with police tape. Katherine stopped by the tape and was about to put her hand on it when Amy stopped her. 'Don't, Kath.' She said.