Chapter 42 ➛Stars Can't Shine Without Darkness

It was strange to think about the fact that most of the unfortunate events that had taken place in my life, had been planned and executed purposefully. Like faith didn't exist. Like other people controlled my life, not me. Not the universe. Not some kind of greater power. It really gave me that sense of hopelessness. What if someone else would find their way into my life and control it as Jonathan had? Would there be someone out there who would be as crazy and sick in the head like him?

It truly was a terrifying thought. But I was relieved that I now had the ability to forget about all of it. Everything that happened. Because for now, I was safe. I was with the person I loved, I was surrounded by people that made me feel better about myself. It was almost perfect. Except for one, tiny problem.

Tom was still missing.

I was worried sick about him. If I had just known him a little better than I did, it might've helped me think of any place where he might have gone. If he was anywhere at all. Maybe he hadn't even survived the woods. Maybe his cold corpse was resting somewhere in the forest, completely drained of color.

White as a sheet, his eyes and lips red, lying shivering below a fresh pack of snow.

I shook the disturbing image away and breathed in deeply as I started to feel my eyes water.

''Are you alright?'' Gellert asked as he rolled over onto his side to face me.

It was late and we were already lying in bed for what must've been at least a few hours. I hadn't expected him to still be awake. ''I'm fine, go back to sleep,'' I whisper before rolling onto my side and closing my eyes, wishing for sleep to take over my chaotic mind.

I heard him sigh, and was expecting him to tell me that he wasn't going to stop prying until I told him. But instead, I felt his arms finding their way around my waist and feeling him settling against me. ''Goodnight,'' he said as he placed a gentle kiss on my bare shoulder.

I placed one of my hands on his and closed my eyes. I really was grateful that someone as great as he loved me as he did. ''Goodnight,'' I said as I could finally feel the fogginess entering my mind.

The next morning we slept in, convinced that we at least deserved a little bit of extra relaxation. But as soon as my eyes opened and the drowsiness had faded, the worries had found their way back into my head.

I sighed again and tried to wiggle out of Gellert's grip, who was still asleep. I knew that was a stupid decision because it woke him up. I apologized softly and turned to face him. ''It's quite alright,'' he said with a wide yawn. ''But if you want, we can stay here a little longer,'' he said with a seductive tone as he placed a gentle kiss on my lips.

I smile and raise my eyebrows. ''Don't you have important work to do today?'' I ask with a grin. He watched me thoughtfully, ''Nothing that can't wait,'' he says as he slowly nears me and starts to kiss my neck.

I stifle a moan as he starts nibbling on my skin, to which a grin spreads across his face. ''You tease,'' I whisper in his ear before he starts kissing my lips again. ''Always,'' he mutters against my lips.

We were enjoying ourselves for some time until I suddenly felt a piercing pain in my shoulder. I flinched and it caused Gellert to retreat and watch me with a frown. ''Are you OK?''

I nod as the pain disappeared as quickly as it had come. ''Fine,'' I say as I kiss his lips again. But it doesn't take long or the second flash of pain erupts from exactly the same place. I grab it tightly as it starts to ache. I curse softly as I fall back against the pillow.

''What's wrong?'' he asks genuinely concerned now. His gaze flicks towards my shoulder, and suddenly I realize that the pain was coming from where I was hit by Jonathan's curse not that long ago.