Chapter 40 ➛A Red, Red Rose

It took us longer to apparate than I had expected.

I felt his hand in mine and I smiled. I suddenly realized all that we've been through and have survived. We're still here. Both of us.

But then an image of Tom crashed into my mind and my good mood dropped. I tried to push it away and said in my head, Not now. Tonight is going to be a night of no concern.

I felt a little calmer and I was glad it didn't keep gnawing in my stomach.

Gellert gently squeezed my hand and then whispered, ''Close your eyes.''

I wondered why but did it anyway. I was starting to feel a little nauseous and hoped it wouldn't take much longer.

And then, to my relief, the ground materialized under my feet. But it wasn't solid ground like I had expected. My heels seemed to sink down.

I clenched to his arm, afraid I might fall if I didn't. I felt him kneel down in front of me which made me wobble a little.

He placed one of his hands on my legs and lifted it up. Then he took off my heel and placed a soft kiss on my shin before placing my foot back on the ground. Then he did the same with my other leg.

I felt the ground shift slightly under my weight as I stood there, and suddenly I had an idea of where we might be. Then he stood up in front of me and said, ''You can open your eyes now.''

I slowly opened my eyes and to my delight, I was right.

I glanced at the sea right of us and then at the horizon: sundown.

I looked at him with a smile while he held out his arm to me. ''Are you ready, my dear?'' he asked, raising his eyebrow slightly. I giggled as I took it and we started walking down the beach.

We walked for some time in silence until I could see a bench some distance away. I looked at him with a big smile. ''It's where we first met, isn't it?'' I asked with an excited expression.

He nodded and grinned. ''It is.''

Once we reached the bench he sat down and pulled me along. We watched the sundown silently, until after several seconds, he said, ''Do you remember?''

I looked up at him and nodded. ''I was here with Owyn and tried to jinx you,'' I said sniggering.

He smiled to himself and he turned to me, placing his arm around my shoulder. ''That was the first time in a long time I had smiled at anyone. I didn't know why, but it felt OK.''

I leaned against this shoulder. ''I get it. At first, I thought it was just a trick. All the things I had heard about you weren't exactly positive. I had no friends and I thought that was because no one liked me and no one ever would. I couldn't help but be skeptical about it. However, when we met the second time, I just knew you were different,'' I said softly.

He sighed. ''You've been through so much in your life, I wouldn't blame you if you still wouldn't trust me. But I'm happy you do. Trust is a very important part of a relationship. Without it, it will break, piece by piece until it has faded into nothingness.''

I looked at him with a frown. ''You talk as if you know what it's like.''

He smiled down at me. ''I do. But let's save that story for another time. This night is all about you and me.''

I took his hand and leaned against him as the sun slowly made its descent. As I followed it with my gaze I noticed a small speck in the distance. Then another one. And another one. And another one. They kept appearing and seemed to be floating towards us.