Chapter 21 ➛A Book of Verse

At first, the silence at the library was discomforting. I felt like someone could sneak up on me at any moment.

But once I started reading, I was engulfed by the story and didn't worry about anything anymore.

The last time I had read a book for fun was when I graduated Hogwarts. After that, I hadn't had the time to read anymore.

I was a fugitive and unable to stay somewhere for very long. I could never take much with me either, so books were never an option.

It felt good to be able to get my mind off everything that has happened lately.

As my eyes glided over the pages my mind slowly started to drift away. I stopped absorbing the information and fell asleep.

I was walking through the corridors of the castle, not having a particular destination in mind. I was wandering around the deserted halls and my mind was for the first time since my graduation, quiet.

The silence in the castle was quite unsettling, but I wasn't afraid of it anymore. I had faith that after the departure of Jonathan Brook, the castle was a lot safer.

I decided that it would be nice to visit Grindelwald. He was very busy lately, but he would probably like it if I'd peep by, just to say hello.

After I knocked and entered, I was surprised to find his office empty but didn't worry about it for too long.

He's probably just taking a walk, or something, I thought.

Instead of seeing him, I went to the infirmary to pay Queenie a visit.

The nurse didn't greet me as usual when I entered the room. Instead, there were hushed voices, muttering softly.

I glanced inside the room and saw several people around Queenie's bed.

Grindelwald was there too, holding his breath and watching a scene that was blocked from my view by several people.

I walked towards him and went to stand next to him.

He took my hand, which startled me a bit because there were also many other people present. Since our relationship was still a secret this was risky.

But instead of asking him why he did so, my attention was drawn to Queenie, who lay on the bed on her back, with her eyes closed.

Besides the bed, I noticed a chubby looking man with brown hair and a mustache. He looked a lot like Queenie's description of Jacob Kowalski, her Muggle boyfriend.

Behind him stood Tina, which alarmed me, and also Newt Scamander. Further, only people I didn't recognize. But I ignored them since Grindelwald was calm under their presence, I supposed it was okay for them to be there, even if it made no logical sense at all.

Jacob watched Queenie hesitantly while holding her hand. His eyes were filled with tears and his whole body was shaking.

''Queenie, honey, can you hear me?'' he softly muttered at the motionless body.

''What's going on?'' I whispered to Grindelwald who stood next to me, holding my hand firmly.

''I think we have the solution to Queenie's problem.''

He refused to say more and just watched the scene before him take place.

Jacob glanced at Tina and Newt who nodded encouragingly and waited for him to make his move.

He slowly bent over so he could place a soft kiss on Queenie's lips.

Her eyes shot open and she was watching him with a surprised expression, but once she recognized him she threw her arms around him and hugged him and sobbed loudly. ''Jacob, I've missed you so much!''