Four For A Boy

Merida looked around. She was in a room of the main cottage of Berk, Hiccup's home. There was a heather bed and a few pillows she presumed were made of yaks fur. She had not packed a lot of clothes besides her traveling dress and her night robes, and for once, she was tempted to try and dress as a viking. Thundercloud was missing, for the white dragon decided to spend the night with her black companion. Merida smiled to herself, her day had gone beautifully and now she got to rest.

Just as the queen removed the outer layer of her dress, leaving only her petticoat, the door creaked open and a familiar face peeked in. Hiccup had his eyes closed, possibly having seen what Merida was doing.

"Sorry, bad moment?" asked Hiccup, already stepping back and beginning to close the door again.

"Not really" the queen chuckled, "there's nothing you haven't seen before".

Hiccup opened his eyes and walked in awkwardly. He was wearing a green tunic and a fur cape on top. His prosthetic leg wasn't the metal one he usually wore to ride toothless, but a wooden one that looked cushioned and more fit to walk around the house.

"May I help you, my chief?" asked Merida, wrapping herself with an old tartan she used as a night robe.

"I was just checking if you needed anything... And to see if you were fine on your own" He said, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Why do I feel like you're flirting with me?" she sighed, intertwining their fingers and leading him to the bed.

"Because I am. Allow me to sleep with you." He finally admitted, cuddling her and wrapping them both with the soft covers.

She nodded. And turned. Then turned again.

"I can nae sleep." she said, defeated. "My brothers. They usually have night horrors and I won't be there for them todae."

He looked at her eyes. Her face was twisted in worry and her lips were pursed together, probably too caught up on her chaotic thoughts.

"I left Lord McIntosh in charge of the southern borders, Dingwall looking out on the coast and McGuffin stayed in the castle for good measure. Harris, Hubert and Hamish just begun their swordsmanship training, yet, I worry it might not be enough." She explained, trying to make sense of her thoughts." They've grown so much and so fast. One blink and they're thirteen springs of age but... I shouldn't have left Dun'Broch. "

" You love them. That's why you want nothing bad to happen to them. But it is okay to live your life, and you need to let them live theirs" He tried to reason.

She ran her fingers through the fur he was wearing.

"Easier said than done" she scoffed. "I still don't know how you managed to leave as soon as I invited you to come"

He laughed. "The same way you did as soon as Astrid called for us both."

Her fingers continued to play with the dark cape.

"Speaking of her... You think I can talk to her tomorrow? There are many things I wish to ask her" asked Merida.

"I believe she'll be thrilled to talk to you" he said.

"I do wonder, why are you wearing a battle cloak to bed?" asked the redhead, stroking the fur that fell over Hiccup's shoulders and twisted with the sheets.

"It was my father's, he wore it every day and it still feels like him" he confessed, running a hand through her red locks. "When I'm feeling lonely, I wrap myself with it and... I don't know. It feels like he's still here."

She nodded slowly.

"This is my father's tartan. And my mother's petticoat. They're here, with us." she said. "The triplets also wear our parents clothes to bed."