One for sorrow

"Please, beastie, listen" said the princess, dropping her longsword on the damp ground. "I don't want to harm you"

Her pale frecked hands trembled as she unfastened the belt of her quiver, settling it aside, far from her and the dragon. The white dragon bared its teeth and groaned, a blue glow starting to leak from its half open jaw. Merida, the princess, threw her bow far from her, leaving only a hidden dagger under her petticoat as a protection from the huge reptile in front of her. When the bow landed in the damp grass, the blue plasma glow dissipated, but the dragon screeched and pointed its nose towards the princess's black robe. She sighed, not being able to understand how the creature could sense the hidden dagger, but knowing that the dragon meant to point at it, she grabbed the hem of her black petticoat and started raising it up her leg, the humid air leaking up her body, freezing her bones. Once the dress was up her leg, she carefully took a small silver dagger from the scabbard tied to her leg. Without taking her eyes off of the dragon, she threw her dagger to the grass, a few inches away from her leather boot. The dragon hissed, not satisfied, making Merida kick the weapon far from her.

The white reptile rounded the –now defenseless– princess, growling at her. Its scales reflected the little light that could pass over the stubborn leaves, making it shine like a cloudy sky. Merida, determined, followed the dragon's pattern and started walking in circles as well, both creatures looking heavily at each other.

With a small thrust of bravery, the redhead lowered her gaze, closed her eyes, and drew her open palm towards the creature's head. The beautiful beast hesitantly placed its nose against the princess' open hand.

Merida felt the glimmering scales against her skin, act that revealed hidden images in her head. A hunter shooting down dragons, a metal jail that didn't open with plasma shots, a sword clashing against white scales, stars flying by. She gasped loudly and opened her eyes, holding back tears. Merida looked towards the white dragon and her heart softened: it was not a beast who killed her father out of sheer evil, it was a lost soul, just like her. She pulled back her hand and smiled sweetly, the dragon returning her gesture with a queer smile, this time its teeth shoved in. A name came to Merida in a sort of revelation. Thundercloud. Merida and Thundercloud had struck their bond out of very depressing origins.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Queen Elinor was killed when the night was at its darkest, two siblings looked at each other horrorized. Their blond hairs were shielded with green scaly helmets. One of the twins, the girl, heard distant steps rushing towards them, so she grabbed her brother and they both jumped out the window, riding a two-headed dragon far from there.

"What have we done?" Asked Ruffnut. She took off her helmet, letting her desperate tears run freely, losing them amongst the cold night wind. Her muscles were sore and there was a ringing in her ear. She couldn't quite remember how they got there in the first place.

Her brother didn't say a word. Nor would he say one for as long as he lived.

That day a very rushed alliance was struck and the Viking ships sailed, followed by all dragons but one mighty a beast. Thundercloud crawled towards a hunched over princess who sat on the biggest throne of the empty throne room. The lovely beast rested its head on the princess' lap and wimped, sensing her sadness. Three young princes walked into the room and sat in the cold stone steps around their sister. The four siblings had cried for hours now and found themselves restless, realising that for the first time in their lives, there would be no-one to dry the tears out their eyes.

What ever were they supposed to do?

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~