29. Second Star

"Hook?!" The trader burst out laughing, clutching his stomach. "Your name's actually Hook – and you - you have that! Oh, that's priceless!" The man was practically pissing himself he was so cracked up. Hook's face was stony cold.

"Hilarious," he quipped dryly. Sensing danger, Wendy interceded.

"Father?" She piped up – addressing Hook. "Let's finish up here. I'm hungry."

Hook continued to glare at the trader and Wendy put a hand on Hook's arm – prepared to hold him back if necessary. "How much for the barrels, sir?" She asked the trader. Wiping his tears, the man named his price and Wendy quickly paid him. They loaded the barrels onto a cart. Wendy was relieved when the trader left them to it.

Hook caught her gaze and jutted out his lip sullenly.

"Don't start." He warned her. Wendy sighed.

"It's... ironic in a way. You should make a thing of it." She suggested. They didn't have a horse so they took a handle each and both pulled the cart along the island's bumpy roads. "Lot's of people have a signature something about them. Like Gus Octavius, with his ridiculously high quiff."

Hook was still frowning but he looked a little appeased – or at least distracted from his initial storming anger.

"Who?" 

"He was a very famous musician... before you were born." Wendy explained. "You were born too late. You've missed the best age of music."

"Oh, back in my day..." Hook mocked, putting on an old man's voice. Wendy laughed.

They reached the dock and the wheels of the cart rolled more easily over the wooden pier slats.

"Hello Captain," Scuttle called out – seeing them approaching the gangplank. Wendy and Hook stopped to admire the new paint work on the ship's side. Wendy read the new name out loud.

"'Second Star'?"

Hook nodded.

"You said I might pick the name." Though he had offered for her to pick one, several times. Wendy had been stubborn. 'It's your ship. You should name her,' she'd insisted. 

"I chose Second Star. Good job with the lettering." He complimented Flit, who beamed toothlessly.

Hook was now captain to a half a dozen crew. It made sailing easier, though it did come with a downside. Lacking privacy, and still wanting to keep up the pretence of normalcy, Wendy had to call Hook 'father'. The charade had been fine at first, but keeping it up all of the time was a little unnerving for them both.

The crewmen helped them to haul the barrels on board. Scuttle tugged on Wendy's pigtail, insisting that she let them do the heavy lifting. Wendy finally gave up and moved out of their way.

"Why 'second' star?" She asked Hook, still puzzled by the name.

"Because that's what she is," Hook smiled, affectionately patting his ship, "she's the second bright star in my life."

"What's the first?"

"The first is a who – not a what." He smiled down at her, his gaze soft and Wendy's heart swelled nervously. Was it her? Was she his brightest star? Hook tweaked Wendy's nose playfully. "Go see if foods ready whilst we finish up here."