12. Under Siege

"What do you mean – a doll?" Hook questioned. His quick gaze scanned the armoury. Swords, pistols – all here within his reach. He could steal something and make a run for it – turn outlaw. "Where are the guards?"

"They're dolls too. Same for the guards at the mayors house, and the mayor."

"The mayor's..."

"Dead," Wendy finished for him. "Dead and now a walking killer doll."

Hook stared at her disbelief. The mayor had been the one to lock him up. A fat waddling man with a curly wig too small for his head and a big red nose. The preening fool been gleeful at the chance to see Hook's fall, the two had butted heads when the balance of power had been different between them.

"They'll be ready soon."

"For what?"

"To turn on the towns people." Wendy held his gaze. "They'll take the children and kill anyone who gets in their way."

Hook stared at Wendy, seeing a small child with very wise eyes.

"How do you know this?"

"I've seen it." Many times. She'd spent a lifetime watching Pan traffic children and these day's, Pan had a business rival. A rival that was, perhaps, even crueler than the vicious imp. "They'll sell them to the Crocodile." 

Hook shivered at the name. Never did he ever want to face the Crocodile again. Some monsters you meet in life, haunt you in your nightmares for the rest of it. The door rattled behind them and Hook flinched. He grabbed a sword from the side, brandishing it familiarly.

"What kills them?" He barked urgently, referring to Wendy's 'dolls'.

"I don't know, and I've tried – lots."

The door groaned as its strained against the bolt. "How do you kill what's already dead?"

The wood splintered around the jailer's fist. Hook leapt back, outstretching his stump to push Wendy behind him. The thing set about tearing down the door with its bare hands.

"Bilge rats!" Hook cursed. "Run, run for it." He shoved Wendy ahead, and followed after her – sprinting through the armoury.

He made for the exit but Wendy held him back suddenly.

"No, Captain." She gripped tightly onto his arm, stopping him. "Why do you think I came down here? We're trapped."

Not wanting to believe it, Hook shook her off him. He quickly climbed the steps up to the Guard's office.

This office led out to a courtyard, Hook knew from remembering his arrest. The courtyard was small, mostly occupied by a platform that private executions took place on. As they'd dragged him through it, Hook had stared up at the perfect nooses – waiting in readiness. He clutched the hilt of his sword firmly, ready to fight his way out.

But Hook skidded to a stop at the sight that awaited him. Wendy had barricaded the door leading out into the courtyard with everything she could find, but multiple arms grasped and pawed at him through the shattered windows. He stared, wide eyed as the guards mechanically reached for him – with empty mindless gazes. She'd been telling the truth, this thing whatever it was, had spread across the fort.