18. Tiny Feet

Little Gretel sat very still in her wardrobe, her knees pulled up close to her chest. Screams and shouts from below made her tremble and she clamped her hand over her mouth to quiet her breathing. Her mother's words rang through her head, 'stay hidden, when its clear – you need to run to the fishing huts. Get a boat and get away'. Her mum had clutched her hand tightly. 'Don't stay here – no matter what you see. Promise me, Gretel.'

'I promise mummy."

               Silent tears streamed down Gretel's face. All was quiet and had been for a long time now. Gretel waited, listening intently. Carefully, she nudged open the wardrobe door and held her breath. All she could see was a slither of her bedroom. It was empty. She struggled to get up, her legs stiff and unsteady, but eventually managed it.

Once stood in her room, she shifted from foot to foot – her toes curling against the carpet. Her teddy bear was hanging over the edge of her bed close by. She padded over to him and picked him up, clutching him tightly to her heart. She nuzzled his faded fur, wiping her tears.

"We have to get out of her, Brother Bear." She whispered softly.

Quietly, she left the room – one hand on her bear and the other clutching the hem of her nightgown, scrunching up the rose-pink material. She tiptoed down the hall and sank down into crouch in order to peer through the banisters at the floor below. She whimpered, seeing bodies on the ground. They were the uniformed soldiers that her father had employed to protect them. Gretel's lips quivered. 'Don't stay here – no matter what you see.'

She crept down the stairs, her grip on Brother Bear's paw tightening. She reached the bottom step and released a trembling breath. The front door now loomed before her. Going up onto the tips of her toes, she struggled to reach the handle – her fingertips brushing uselessly against the knob. She jumped up, her sweaty hand glancing off the handle. The sound of something breaking made Gretel freeze. It had come from the next room.

The floorboards creaked as someone big walked across the room, his webbed feet ended in claws that tapped against the wood. It was the Crocodile. He had the build of a gigantic man but his skin was replaced with thick green scales  that covered his body. But his face was the most fearsome aspect, and the reason behind his name, he had the monstrous head of a crocodile. His tail flicked out behind him, swiping the door as he prowled from the dining room and into the hallway.

He wore light armour, since his skin was thick enough to protect him. His gauntlets and shoulders plates merely made him more intimidating, being spiked. The Crocodile strode towards the front door, prepared to return to his crew. His mace was in his meaty grip and its spiked head was crusted with bits of bone and brain. Blood dripped from it, splattering across the ground in a trail behind him.

The Crocodile paused suddenly, and turned his powerful head. Large windows were either side of the front door but they were currently covered by heavy burgundy drapes that had been pulled shut over them. The Crocodile's green eyes focused on the line of the material and his pupils narrowed to a slit. His gaze slowly lowered to a tiny set of feet – poking out from the bottom of the drapes...

**

The sun rose up from the sea, its golden glow lighting up the dull sky. Hook wiped the sweat from his brow with the sleeve of his jacket. Around him, soldiers sagged – shattered- against the broken walls of Fort Arendelle. Peeking over the horizon, the Shrouded fleet was emerging – but their arrival was already too late. The Crocodile and his crew had slinked off with the night, having devastated the island.