TWENTY TWO: Haunted House

Okay, I really intended this to be the last chapter but it's not. I'm gonna guess and say that the next one is (I'd like it to be) but I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do yet.

Second semester sadness inspired this depressing chapter :)

Also, I'd just like to just say that this was never supposed to be a happy book and as we get to the ending... well... I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do yet. I've gone through a hundred ideas but I have yet to find one that I feel fits. I would like to sprinkle in some joy because, come on, we can't deny that this whole thing has been a little depressing. I guess I just want to pre-apologize in case anyone is a) mad at what has already happened or b) going to be ... disappointed by however the hell it ends.

****************************

I didn't tell Dante about Anthony's cryptic remark. Maybe I should have been worried about it but I had too many other things on my mind to concern myself with what may or may not happen in the future, especially when I knew what he did to Shawn. If anyone found out, it would not only ruin his marriage but his entire reputation. He'd lose everyone's trust and respect once they realized that he betrayed his own flesh and blood.

If you don't respect your own family, why would anyone else think you have any respect for them? Enzo had once asked me during one of our heated, drunken debates. Loyalty is important, Evelyn.

Well when you come from a family like mine, it becomes a pretty hard thing to live by. I argued. He always hated it when I brought up my past because he felt guilty. Guilty for how we came to be, and because of that I would bring it up whenever he pissed me off or I felt like I was loosing a fight.

Your stepfather was scum. Men like him don't deserve respect. This was after Enzo had allegedly wiped him off the face of the Earth. Allegedly. That was the one thing that he could never get himself to admit to me. He wasn't ashamed of sharing any of his other war stories, but that one was different.

You see! I shot back. Just because they're family doesn't mean you are obligated to–"

Enzo let out a low chuckle as he narrowed his eyes at me. I trapped him. He knew I did, and the only way he would have any chance of winning was to go back on his word, something he'd never do.

You understood my point. He sauntered toward me, a mischievous smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

I won. I gave him a big toothy grin.

Enzo remained silent as he continued to back me into the wall.

Say it. I demanded. I wanna hear you say it, baby. Tell me that I was right and you were wrong.

I was not wrong. I may have lost this debate, but I am not wrong, Evelyn. He slowly kissed my cheek.

You lost. I smiled. You lost and...

And you won.

Ha!

And you are the only person in this world who will ever hear me say those words. He admitted.

I'm special. I teased.

Incredibly.

"Where to?" Dante asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Home." I said without really thinking about what I was saying. It was just instinct.

"You can stay with us, you know." Skyla offered.

"Thanks, but I think I'll just go home." I suddenly felt very desperate. Desperate to get out of the car and run into my house. I knew it was real, but I needed to believe that it was real. Consciously, I knew Enzo was gone, but I couldn't get myself to actually believe that I would never be able to see him again, not when he was still so alive and present in my memories.