Chapter 15

Becca sighed. They were headed back into court today. She was hoping that it would be over and she could go back to her life. She looked at her brother. He smiled and pulled her into a hug.

"No matter what happens, we got this," he said.
"Thanks bubby," she smiled.
"You haven't called me bubby in a long time."
"I know."

He chuckled. They walked into the court room.

Flashback

"I am having another baby," Debbie informed him.

Marshall's eyes widened. She had just given birth to his little brother not more than three months ago. She sat down on the couch and sighed. He stared at her while looking at Nathan.

"How is that possible?" he asked.
"I am due in December," she told him.

Debbie went into labor in November and gave birth to Rebecca Jolene. Marshall walked into the room with Nate in his arms. He stared at his mother holding the baby in her arms.

"Meet your baby sister, boys," she smiled.

Betty took Nate from Marshall so he could hold his little sister. Debbie handed Rebecca over to him. He stared down at her.

"She is so tiny," he said.
"She is early. So she is smaller than Nate was," Debbie said.

Marshall nodded. He silently made the same promise to her that he had already made to Nathan. He would always be there for them. Becca's blue eyes opened for a moment and stared at him. He smiled.

Marshall had gotten her first real smile as well as her first word. She called him bub. He had a special bond with his siblings.

End

It had all brought back memories to when he had fought to get Nate and Becca from foster care. He sat next to Becca just waiting for the judge to enter the room.

Flashback

Marshall was nervous. He had been doing visits with Becca and Nate for weeks. He had stepped up and done everything asked of him. He was going to bring those two home. Becca had cried the last time that he and Hailie had to leave her. He had felt horrible and they had recently separated Becca from Nathan which had him pissed off. Nate was getting angry about it. He couldn't protect his sister from the other two boys in the house anymore.

"Marshall, you have to get her out of there," Nathan said.
"I am doing everything I can," Marshall told his younger brother.

Nathan had only nodded. He knew that Becca wasn't going to be able to hold out for much longer. Marshall sat in the courtroom. The judge had just granted his sole custody over them both. Becca jumped into his arms. He hugged her tightly.

"Come on you two, let's go home," he said.

End

It had been incredible getting custody of them both. Becca had calmed down and straightened out until she met Jesse. He still wasn't sure what had happened there but she was slowly becoming his sweet little Becca again.

They sat in the courtroom waiting on the judge's ruling. She smiled softly trying to remain optimistic.

"I am ruling that Miss Mathers retain sole physical and legal custody of the minor children with no visitation order to be placed for the grandparents. I have spoken to their father and even from his cell, he has requested they remain in their mother's care without the added influence from his family, in particular his parents," the judge ruled.

Becca threw her arms around her big brother, a huge smile on her face. She had won and couldn't wait to get home to her babies. She looked over at Jesse's parents. She was surprised that the judge had gone to get Jesse's opinion of the case and even Jesse was on her side.

Marshall took everyone out to dinner that night to celebrate. Even Kim was along and she couldn't bring down Becca's mood. Marshall was thankful that Kim kept her distance from his siblings. Nathan still hadn't forgiven her for something that Marshall knew nothing about and Becca had never liked her at all.

Marshall shifted Chloe in his arms. She had her arms around his neck and her head on his shoulder.

"That's a good look for you," Kim smiled.

Marshall shrugged. He wasn't about to get pulled back into something with Kim. That ship had sailed long ago and he wasn't about to try to pull it from the depths. Chloe glanced at her and buried her face back in his shoulder. Nathan had Axel in his arms. Denaun had just hugged Becca. She had a huge smile that no one could wipe off her face.

"I'm serious Marshall, it brings back memories of you with the girls," Kim said.
"Kim, tonight is about my baby sister and her kids. I am not taking a trip down memory lane with you," he sighed.
"But it's always a fun trip."
"No it's really not. We are too old for this nonsense. I am perfectly content with just being your friend."

She rolled her eyes. Becca walked over and kissed her daughter's head.

"Hanging with Uncle Marshall?" she asked the little girl.

Chloe nodded. Becca kissed her brother's cheek, shot a glare in Kim's direction and headed off to find her son. Nathan looked over at her. She reached for the baby. He handed him over to her.

"You ever tell Marshall what she did to us?" Becca asked.
"Nah, he has been done with her so there is no point. Plus it's better not to drag the girls into it," Nathan replied.
"Yeah, I guess."

Becca made a face. Nathan hugged her before she moved on to talk to Ashley.