Chapter 1

A few hours earlier

  "Adaline," A stern, all-mighty voice said as I walked away from it rolling my eyes.
  "You have to start doing your job as an agent, starting with this case that has been seating in the back of my office for years now."
   "Are you seriously following me into my room?" I asked, ignoring his claims completely as I plopped down onto my couch.
    I guess I should explain what he meant when he said job and agent in the same sentence.
    My 'job' is to help or assist humans in finding their 'soulmate' their 'true love' or whatever you want to call it. You may know us as cupids however we prefer the term agents, it just sounds cooler.
    We are angels, divine beings among other things.
    The director of our little love matching services dropped a heavy file on my lap and continued to nag me about the joy and wonders of our duty.
     "So in other words, you're giving me a case no one else wants to take," I said looking up at him.
     "I'm saying..." he started sounding the slightest annoyed which was rare in angels, "you need to get back to business. After all, you are the daughter of the director. as you like to call me." My dad said, petting my head.
    "Fine." I sighed, grabbing his broad, soft hand feeling the warmth it offered mine. "You used to love playing cupid, what happened to that Addy?" His bright blue eyes crinkled as he smiled. 
     Heartbreak.
    That's what happened.
    "I'll get on it," I promised. With that, he took it as his cue to leave my room which left me alone in my palace, made of clouds and gold, along with the heavy file that I simply threw away.
    This brings us back to present time when Emily walked into her room and saw me checking myself out.
    "Wh-who are you? Why are you in my room?" Emily asked squeezing her towel tighter.
    "I'm Adaline, duh, I'm here to play Cupid with you." I smiled wickedly.