Chapter 2 - The Rewards Are Immense

Chapter 2  - The Rewards Are Immense

1888 Bethlehem, Louisiana Territory, (United States - The Wild West) 

A covered wagon sits on the edge of town. It is pioneer times and a young girl in a long dress and bonnet runs through the tall grass. The sky is a swirling gray and she hurries to beat a storm.  Stepping onto a wooden porch her mother lifts her up and cradles her just as the sky parts and a heavy rain pets the ground making fresh mud.  “Papa! What’s that?”

“It’s a camera my darling.” A bearded, big-bellied man says setting up a strange tri-pod contraption on the porch.

“Frank I don’t like those,” His wife, a beautiful blond shakes her head. “I really don’t. Now did you tend to the horses to make sure that they’re tied up? I don’t want them running off in this thunderstorm.”

“They’re fine Mary, they’re fine. Done!” He points the camera to the two women and Mary darts up.

“No Frank,” She blocks the lens with her hand. “You know what they say about those contraptions. They say if you take a photo it takes your soul.”

“Now you don’t honestly believe that, do you Mary?” Hank rolled his eyes and moved the camera away from her. It was expensive and he had to sell a lot of medicine in the town to buy it.

            “Seems a mighty high price to pay for a gamble.” Mary looks at her husband with worry in her eyes and he nods.

            “At least take a photograph of me.” Hank stands near the edge of the porch and smiles. The photograph takes a little bit to take but once he is done he knows it will look amazing.  A ruckus sounds from the saloon and the three family members look off the porch into the gray muddy western street. Grabbing his hat, Hank steps off the porch and runs to the saloon.

            “Be careful!” Mary shouts after him cradling her daughter.

            Hank’s cowboy boots hit the mud splashing up on his worn denim. He was the town doctor. Hank hurried to the double swinging doors opening them and stepping into the saloon. The doors swayed back and forth, the bar was a wreck, and tables flipped the chandelier, which hung from the ceiling swayed and dead bodies everywhere. The barkeep was flung onto the bar bleeding out but alive.

            Hank hurried across the bar, stepping over broken glass and splintered chairs. “What happened here?” Hank leaned but the barkeep spat up some blood and his eyes glanced over at the entrance. The life faded from his face and Hank spun around. In the doorway stood a woman in a traditional brothel dress complete with feather in her hair.  The man next to her flung his arm around the woman and was dressed like the sheriff of the town; in fact, he was the sheriff Jeremiah Port.

            “Jeremiah?” Hank questioned. “What happened here?”

            “Unfortunately I got a bit excited.” The woman walked up to Hank and stuck her hand down his pants. Hank pushed her away. She laughed hitting a table. “You’re a big boy. You would rip me apart.”

            “Stop with the indecency, I am married.” Hank shouted then turned to Jeremiah in the doorway.

            “But without a soul.” Jeremiah walked into the saloon and approached Hank. Pushing the man back into the bar he smirked revealing two glowing red eyes. “Call me Walter Stone Hank, that was a lovely photo you took earlier.”

***

Present Day: Hollywood Hills, California.