Chapter 1 - Operation Tobalt

Author's Note: This is the final book in the Cooper Mystery series, the order is: Blue Sheep, Demon's Gate, Big Bad Wolf, Ghost Stories, and Red Eyes....it's been a long journey, thanks for reading all the way to this one! 

Chapter 1 – Operation Tobalt 

Dark gray clouds swirled in the sky, it wasn’t the Los Angeles he was used to and from the balcony of his Hollywood Hills home he watched the clouds. Cooper Morris was 29 years old and his brown hair was cut short but styled in a Mad Men-esque style. The hometown cuteness he used to have faded into more of a LA glam now. Leaning back in the patio chair his finger tapped his iPad as he flipped through pages of his latest script.

Everything around his was beautiful, his large ultra modern home, the expensive suite he wore, and especially his gorgeous movie star boyfriend Paul Micks. Hollywood didn’t just love the fact that the two were a power couple in the town, they loved that they had a history – growing up in the same town, overcoming struggle, finding each other years later on a movie set. Plus, they looked good on the red carpet. But with all of this luxury, fame and beauty Cooper wasn’t smiling.  He was being hunted by a demon

It was hard for Cooper to imagine that just four years ago he was a struggling screenwriter, working out of retail to make money. He rose to the top quickly and almost everything changed for him. It all started around the time his father died. Cooper had been working on a script when all of a sudden he was thrown into a whirlwind adventure fighting ancient cults, demon controlled nightclubs, vampires in Vegas, the big bad wolf at his front door, and ghosts in the spirit world. In the process he lost many friends and gained some new ones. But four years ago, he found out that his father’s death wasn’t an accident, but rather his father died protecting him from some evil.

This red-eyed evil confronted him once in a dream, but had been following him for much longer – possibly his whole life. Since all that, Cooper had been able to get his life in order and the werewolves and vampires seemed to disappear. It had been quiet and his career took off in the meantime. He’d sold a script for a made-for-TV-movie, then a pilot for a TV show, then an independent film – which when produced just won a Golden Globe a month back.

“Working hard?” Paul stood in the doorway some tight fitting boxers clinging to his perfectly chiseled body. Paul Micks was Cooper’s current boyfriend, at least in the media’s eye. Cooper loved him just enough.

“Trying to figure out this scene.” Cooper eyed Paul as he walked barefoot across the deck to the chair Cooper was sitting in. Paul pushed up against his boyfriend’s arm, the hairs of his leg brushing against Cooper’s bare arm. This was everything Cooper dreamed up growing up. Their eyes connected briefly and in that moment Cooper saw lust not love, but he conceded to the feeling slipping his fingers into the band of the boxers and pulling them lower. Sliding the red briefs down his tanned legs he exposed a growing member eager for fun. Cooper stood up and slid off his suit jacket then slowly unbuttoned his shirt.

Paul gave a sultry grin and jumped into the infinity pool. Cooper finished undressing and joined him in the water. Their hair wet and dripping and bodies pushed against each other.

***

            Pulling up outside of the Artist Talent Agency known in the business as ATA. Cooper parked him BMW and stepped outside. He had to meet with his agent today about a movie he wrote entering production and the season finale of his television show. NBC wanted to pull it on for another season but negotiations were dependant on the finale viewings.  Walking into the flashy building the assistants and desk staff all lit up at the fact that they were seeing a star. Stacey Moore, Cooper’s agent’s assistant greeted him once he stepped off the elevator. She was a sweet red headed girl trying to work her way up in the world.