six

"Sharpen your knife, comrade," Nini screamed in his ear, surprising him. Ricky jumped and gasped and almost dropped his phone. He turned around rapidly, a shocked expression on his face. She was so close, wearing an amused expression.

Ricky had been lounging in the waiting room, semi-sleeping, scrolling mindlessly through his phone before Nini had arrived. He was definitely awake now.

"Today is a good day for war, don't you think?" She said as she turned from him and faced foward, sitting back in her chair.

"I think you broke my eardrum," he held his ear for dramatic purpose, an exaggerated pained expression on his face.

"Ridiculous."

He shook his head, "No, really, I can't hear you."

Nini faced Ricky again, a smirk on her lips, "Oh, really? Is that why you answered me? Because you couldn't hear me?"

"What?" He screamed, "I can't hear you. Speak louder."

She shushed him, looking around in worry, "Shut up. It's 7 in the morning."

Ricky laughed, "You're one to talk."

"What happened to your broken eardrum?"

"Miraculous recovery."

Nini nodded, completely serious except for her teasing eyes, "Yes, I'm sure."

He sighed, some stress coming back to him. He was dreading the meeting.

Nini frowned, "Still worried?" Her tone was caring and Ricky was surprised to see her look so genuine. Maybe he had her figured out all wrong. Maybe his initial impression of her was all a lie. Maybe they could be friends.

"I guess. I don't know. It's not gonna be a fun meeting no matter the outcome, you know?"

"Yes. I know. I also have to participate in the meeting. Let's just... Listen to them. Let them talk and then say no. Politely. I think it's the best strategy."

"What? What about the knife?"

She laughed, "Sorry, comrade. Stabbing is illegal and you're too pretty to go to jail." Before he could even properly register what she had said, Nini's manager entered the waiting room. They stood up and followed her to the elevator.

Nini looked back at him and smiled, whispering, "Don't worry. It's never gonna happen."

It happened. Oh God, it fucking happened.

Nini turned slowly to him, mouth wide, flabbergasted, "Well. Hi, boyfriend."

For a passing second, Ricky felt a wave of rage climbing up his body, taking over his every limbs. He was angry. Angry at her. It was in this exact moment that he realized he was right all along. They would never be friends.