Over Turning the Troll

Chapter 3

Maddison was led to a corner table at the back of Regents restaurant. She had booked days ago and still had to drop Angela Pritchard's name just to be considered. The place looked swanky and she instantly felt out of place.

"Will Ms Pritchard be joining you soon?" The maître d questioned her suspiciously.

I'm surprised he isn't cross-eyed, looking down his nose at people like that.

"No, there has been a change of plans. Tom Pritchard should be here shortly. I would appreciate it if you could show him to the table." She tried to sound as professional as she could but the quiver in her voice and her less than sophisticated blue sundress was giving her away.

"Certainly Ma'am." He shot her one last filthy look before he scurried away.

She got out her cellphone and keyed in Dianna's number.

"Oh my God, Maddy, I was just about to call you."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"I'm married, that's what the matter is. I tell you I have never known such a perfect man. You're one lucky lady."

"Umm, you're gushing again and you do understand he isn't really my date right?" Maddison rolled her eyes but couldn't help smiling a little at her over-enthusiastic friend. She knew she was joking, she had never seen two people so in love as Dianna and her husband. Sometimes their public displays of affection could be nauseating. She was well aware that this sudden interest in Tom was all directed at her. She didn't need Dianna to point out how fantastic he was. She had been witness to it for 2 years and all day today.

"You may not be his date yet Maddy but once he sees you, he will ask you out for real. You wait and see."

"I hope you're right Dianna."

"Uh-huh! I knew it. You like him."

"Who wouldn't? I mean honestly, look at the package."

"You've seen his package?" Dianna squealed.

"Oh God no, not that package. I mean he seems like an all-round great guy, handsome, rich, kind." Maddison blushed hot pink.

"Sorry, Maddy, but I do believe you are gushing."

They both laughed until Maddison became aware of the other dinners glaring at her and hissing at her to be quiet.

"Dianna, I have to go. Is he on his way?"

"He should be there any minute unless he didn't understand the clue of course. But Maddy, you should have seen him at the statue. It was the cutest thing. There was this couple trying to take photos of themselves in front of the entrance so he went over and offered to take photos for them. Before I knew it he was practically running a photo booth. At least a dozen couples had him taking photos. You know what? He did it with a smile and didn't appear like he had anything better to do."

Maddison sighed deeply. "He is just too wonderful. I'm glad we decided to do what we did but if anyone gets fired over this, let it be me. I'll deny you knew anything about it."

"No one will be fired. Tom won't let that happen."

"I hope you're—Oh no, he's here." Maddison had become so accustomed to hiding from Tom that she began to slide down in her chair.

"Okay, I want all the details later. Ring me!"

Maddison watched as the snooty man from earlier led Tom towards the table. She panicked, she looked for an escape hatch, an ejection button, heavenly intervention. Anything. Nothing.