April Fools Day

Chapter 2

Tom Pritchard sat at his desk that overlooked the city. His reflection stared sadly back at him as he reached for his briefcase. It was a perfect day. Much too perfect to be sitting in a temperature-controlled office that smelled like disinfectant and the odd whiff of cheap perfume from Mrs Bishop, his aging secretary.

I really need some excitement in my life. I want to get out and enjoy life instead of watching it pass me by under the glow of fluorescent lighting.

He leaned back into his chair and reached for the pile of mail that awaited his urgent attention.

Argh, monotony. Design requests, fashion show invites, pink envelope covered in hearts. Hmm- I wonder what this is.

He flipped it over and slid his letter opener along the lip of the envelope. Pink glitter spilled out across his desk.

What in the world?

He lifted the pink paper to his nose and inhaled deeply.

Perfumed paper.

He unfolded the letter and began to read.

Dear Tom,

I have pondered over admitting my feelings to you for some time. I have imagined us together in a thousand different scenarios. When I look at you I see everything I have ever wanted. You are kind and sweet and have such a beautiful heart. We share so many ideals but to you, I am merely an employee. Well, Tom, today is the day! I want more. I want a chance to win your heart. This is very out of character for me. I am usually very shy and reserved and I am sure you have never noticed me. But I have noticed you. The way you walk, the way you smile but mostly the way you make the people around you happy. If you are interested in coming on an adventure I have one planned for you. Follow the clues and it will lead you to me. I really hope you show up, it will be lonely without you.

Your secret admirer.

Tom smiled to himself. Well, I wanted something different. This could quite possibly be the cutest thing I have ever seen. Do people really spray perfume on their love letters? Isn't that something that only happens in movies?

He checked the envelope. There in the bottom was a small piece of card. He dug it out and stared at the neat loopy handwriting.

Clue 1: This is one of the most filmed locations in the world. It has been used in many movies. It can be seen from your office window. Even your warm heart can't Trump such cold conditions.

He picked up his blackberry and checked his schedule. All clear. Just more boring housekeeping tasks. Nothing that couldn't be left until tomorrow.

No, this is stupid. It could be a 50-year-old man waiting for me. I couldn't possibly take the risk. But then it might be Maddison from down the hall. Oh, Maddison.

Now that is a woman he could see himself settling down with. She was the loveliest lady, he had seen her with the rest of the staff. They loved her and respected her. He had noticed the little dimple in her left cheek when she smiled and the row of perfectly straight teeth. She drove him crazy and she didn't even know it. She was too busy working hard and trying to impress his rotten sister. He had no idea why Angela refused to promote her. Her fashion sense was quirky and spontaneous. He never knew what he would get when she arrived at work each morning. One day it would be a 50's housewife inspired ensemble and the next, the height of fashion, by the following week she would have changed it up again. He liked that. Her look never had a chance to get stale and he thought she was perfectly suited in the design team with him. Angela was just so darn stubborn.