Conspiring With the Enemy

Chapter 1.

Argh, another perfect day in New York City. How annoying.

Maddison Leary limped along the busy street towards work. Her ridiculously high heels were blistering her feet already and she couldn't shake the feeling of impending doom that had washed over her in the shower that morning. She really should get the plumber to take a look at that. It had been happening more and more lately. Maybe she could pretend to be sick. She lifted her hands and started to count on her fingers how many days she had taken off that year.

Bummer, way too many already. Looks like I have a date with the troll I can't get out of.

Maddison had worked hard to get through University to gain her dream job. Little did she know what a nightmare it would become. The work was great but her boss Angela was a real tyrant. It was no secret amongst those in the field that she was a disaster to work for. Maddison kicked herself for not researching the job offer more thoroughly. She had been so excited to be picked up, straight from NYU into one of the largest and most recognized fashion houses in the world that she neglected to look any further into it. Now she was trapped with the beast and her yes men.

She pushed the revolving door that led into the building as she resigned herself to her fate. The skinny woman at reception eyed her suspiciously. Her grey hair was pulled so tightly into a bun that her eyes could barely open. Maddison tried not to giggle. The woman's lips were pursed so tight her mouth resembled a cats behind. You would think after two years of working there she would realize I'm not going to rob the place. She smiled and waved just to annoy the old duck further. She was rewarded with a look so stern it would have even scared Angela. Come to think of it, there were some resemblances there. It was probably Angela's mother.

Maddison darted towards the elevator and slipped her arm straight into the gap to prevent the door closing. She stepped inside and looked nervously at her watch. Damn 3 minutes late. The elevator stopped and the doors flew open. Angela was standing with her arms crossed in front of herself and was tapping her foot impatiently. This woman was relentless. Maddison was convinced she had some sort of honing device that sent off a high pitched siren that only Angela and dogs could hear, whenever she was late.

"You're late" Angela snapped.

"I'm sorry, it's only 3 minutes. My alarm didn--"

"Do you realize there are approximately 250 workdays in a year?" Angela interrupted.

'Umm, okay."

"If you are 3 minutes late every day for a year it means you owe me 750 minutes of labor. Would you like to stay back during the end of year holidays to make up that time or should I just deduct it from your paycheck?"

"I'm sorry, it won't happen again. I promise." Maddison looked at the ground and scuffed her feet.

"Oh for goodness sake woman, look at me while you're speaking. You aren't a child anymore. Meet me in my office in 5 minutes and bring coffee."

Oh, what? Could this day get any worse?

Maddison walked to her office, took off her jacket and contemplated jumping out the 8th story window.

Knowing my luck, Angela will be waiting for me as I hit the pavement.

She snatched up her clipboard and a pen and made her way towards Angela's office. Although she had worked for the company for over two years, she had never been inside the dragon's lair before. Angela was more often found, lurking around the halls ready to pounce or out at some lavish business lunch. There was a conference room that was used for most meetings so it was highly unusual for her to request someone's presence in her personal workspace.