CHAPTER EIGHT

The Red Queen sat upon the windowsill, reclining against the side of the open window in the bright light of the waning moon. The protection spell was still there, but although she could feel it, it had no effect on her. 

Inside the room, faintly illuminated by the reflection of moonlight, Regina lay reposed in the depths of slumber. Her arms arced gracefully above her head, and her dark hair delicately fanned around her finely sculpted face. She looked peaceful, calm. Which was far more than the Red Queen could say for the last time she had seen her. She smiled wryly, remembering the sharp-edged rage of the now-sleeping woman. 

Regina was quite formidable, and the Red Queen considered for a moment how useful it was that their magics cancelled each other out - she'd have been dead within the first ten seconds of their meeting otherwise. Of course, she mused, that wasn't all that their magics could do. But, all in good time. She was glad that Regina had come home at last. The previous two days had been difficult, disquieting, and she felt bad for causing her such turmoil. She hadn't meant to kiss her, and especially not like that. It was just that, there, in her presence, and so close to her, the pull had become overwhelming. 

And there was only one way to stave off that much insistent power.

Regina had felt it too, there was no question of that. The difference was that the Red Queen knew what it was, and Regina did not, and so it had nearly torn her apart. And the Red Queen too, as collateral damage. To not understand a pull of that magnitude had to be terrifying - small wonder that Regina was losing sleep over it. 

The Red Queen sighed, considering. She would have to be more careful, far more reserved. She resolved to keep her distance as best she could, and let Regina pick out her own path. It was not for her to choose the Evil Queen's destiny for her. Some happy endings had to be fought for, after all. Still, she would be nearby when the time came, for she knew without doubt that something was coming. She also knew with absolute certainty that if she wasn't there when it did, Regina was lost, and that couldn't be allowed to happen. 

With a heartfelt sigh, she tore her gaze away from Regina's beautiful face and turned her eyes to the moon instead.

"Mother," she whispered to the bright orb in the sky, "I ask you for the strength to do this right, and to succeed at all costs."

She breathed deeply, inhaling the sweetness of the night air, and then turned her attention to the protection spell laced around the window. She reached for it, felt its power, and added another layer of her own. It might not keep her out, but nothing else would get through. She hopped up to the outer edge of the sill like a cat, balancing on the balls of her feet as the silken train of her dress fanned out behind her. She reached in and tugged the curtains closed so that the morning light might not wake Regina prematurely. 

Satisfied, she took one last glance at the moon, and caught the ghost of her mother's smile upon the mirror of its face. Echoing the smile to herself, she launched herself off the window and into the darkness. 

She was gone in silence, and Regina, oblivious, turned over in her sleep.