CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Regina wept bitterly over the still, cold body of the Red Queen.

She'd lost her chance at happiness before she'd even known it had been within her grasp, and her heart keened in anguish. Around her, it seemed the earth itself shook with her very grief, that the air hummed agitatedly with her distress. Regina's tears fell like rain, and the feeling grew until it was almost unbearable. Slowly, Regina realised through her savage grief that the earth truly was shaking, and that the air actually was writhing itself into gusting fits. 

She looked up in confusion and became aware of a bright glow descending rapidly from the dark sky. A flood of light preceded it, harrying away the last shadows of darkness. Regina froze, staring through wet, swollen eyes, trying to make sense of what she was seeing. Her heart beat faster at the impossible scene unfolding before her - the moon, travelling down to earth. 

The great orb settled effortlessly against the dark, shaking ground, shining so brightly with white and silver light that Regina had to cover her eyes against its forceful radiance. As the earth and the air stilled, she saw a silhouette materializing against the blinding light. 

Out of the indescribable luminescence, a woman in a flowing silver gown stepped forth. The woman's skin glowed with inhuman beauty, and her pale blonde hair cascaded the length of her back to fall in waves at her feet. Despite her heartache, Regina sat upright and protectively cradled the Red Queen's lifeless body against her chest. Swiping away a tear, she formed a crackling ball of dark magic with her free hand, steeling herself to do battle once more. 

The stranger simply smiled and glided forth, unafraid.

Regina held her breath, following the woman's every move with suspicious eyes as she came forward to crouch beside the fallen Queens. She reached out her arms for the Red Queen, but Regina only clasped her tighter.

  "Even true love's kiss cannot defeat death, Regina," the stranger chided gently. "But... I can."

Despite her readiness to fight, Regina found herself becoming inexplicably calmed by the woman's presence. Her grip loosened of its own accord, and the other gently plucked the Red Queen free from her grasp.

  "Who are you?" Regina challenged softly, wary of the unusual hum of the stranger's power. She found herself helpless to do anything but sit back and watch.

  "I am Aphrodite," the other said, turning her attention to the Red Queen and laying her gently flat on her back.

  "The - Goddess of Love?" Awestruck, Regina's disbelieving question came out as the barest breath, and the silver woman inclined her head lightly in assent, not looking up from her task.

She reached down over the Red Queen's heart, and with a gentle hooking manoeuvre of one slender finger, exposed the end of a snarl of the blackest magic. Delicately, she tugged it free and crushed it in her palm with a flash of silver moonlight. 

The Red Queen heaved in a great gulp of air. 

Disbelief warring with hope, Regina leapt to her side, reaching out to help her sit up. As her gaze came into focus, the Red Queen's moonlight eyes lit upon Regina. Without a word, she grasped the front of her midnight-dark dress in both hands and pulled her into range, crushing her mouth to Regina's with incredible urgency. Regina didn't hesitate, lacing her fingers through her starlight hair and returning the kiss with fervour. The Evil Queen felt as though her heart might explode, but now that she understood the force within, the feeling was euphoric. They embraced for a long moment, then pulled back and their thunderstruck gazes locked.

  "Regina," the Red Queen smiled, her flawless face alight with wonder. 

Regina mirrored her expression of pure joy, but then suddenly remembered the silver woman. Her gaze darted over to the Goddess, who stood quietly off to one side, allowing them the space to savour their reunion. The Red Queen followed Regina's eye and scrambled to her feet in surprise. She hurriedly dropped down to one knee before the silver woman, who smiled graciously at her before reaching out to draw her back to her feet.