CHAPTER FIVE

The small bell above the door tinkled brightly as Emma swept into Gold's shop with her family in tow. From behind the glass-topped counter, Belle looked up in friendly surprise.

  "Emma!" she beamed, holding her arms out in welcome.

  "Where's Gold?" Emma jumped straight to the point. "Something is happening to Regina."

  "Nice to see you too," Belle said lightly, rolling her eyes as she turned to look for him. "He's around here, somewhere..."

  "And what, exactly, can I possibly do for you?" 

Gold's smooth voice echoed out from the bowels of the shop. A moment later, he stepped into view. He planted his feet firmly on either side of his cane and rested his hands loosely atop it.

Oblivious to his standoffish nature, Henry was quick to step forward. "We need your help, Grandpa! Something bad is happening to my mom – she's gone full Evil Queen!"

Gold's lip twitched, but his face otherwise remained impassive. Standing nearby, Mary-Margaret cleared her throat, and Gold's eyes flickered in her direction.

  "In her current state, she might blow up half of Storybrooke," she said primly, folding her arms.

  "Snow!" David burst out, taken aback by her abruptness.

  "What?" Mary-Margaret raised her hands in defence. "I'm just saying! Last time I saw her this angry, she set fire to half a Kingdom!"

David looked like he was going to argue, but instead made a small noise of agreement and inclined his head. He looked around apologetically.

  "Great," Emma said sarcastically. "Just what we need."

She turned to Gold.

  "Will you help us?" she pressed.

  "And why would I do that?" he inquired.

  "Do you fancy being incinerated?" Emma asked drily.

  "Please, Grandpa!" Henry implored. "I'm really worried about my mom!"

  "And so you should be, Henry," Gold said, serious at last. He crouched down behind his cane to be at eye level with his grandson. "Your mother is in a whole world of trouble."

  "What do you mean?" Emma demanded, standing behind Henry with her hands protectively on his shoulders.

  "It appears, dearie," Gold said, looking up at her with an expression much like a cat with a mouse, "that Regina has finally met her match."

The hairs on the back of Emma's neck rose at the implication of Gold's words.

  "What do you mean?" Henry pleaded. "Grandpa, how do we help her? We have to help her!"

  "You can't," Gold stated with finality, standing tall once more. "This battle is for her, and her alone. All you can do – all of you – is stay out of the way."

  "That's it?" David said sceptically. "That's all you're going to say?"

  "That's all there is to say," Gold replied, fixing him with a firm glare.

  "You know something more," Emma retorted, refusing to let him off that easily. "You were there this morning, in her room. You found the hair, and then you left. You must know who this Red Queen is!"

  "Red Queen?" Gold's eyebrows disappeared under his bangs in genuine surprise. "Interesting."

  "What's interesting?" Emma insisted, slamming her fist against the top of the nearest counter. "Who is the Red Queen?"

  "I've no idea, dearie," Gold said softly, scowling at her mistreatment of his property. "But I can't wait to find out."

Puffing sharply through her nose in irritation, Emma let it go. She got the impression that he was telling the truth, but she was none too pleased with the realisation. Gold smiled at the victory that her silence implied.

  "Take my advice, dearie," he continued, raising one long finger up from his cane in warning. "Stay out of the way. Regina's a big girl; she can handle herself. Besides, there's nothing you can do – this is personal."

  "Why?" Emma took the bait despite herself. "What did Regina do to this woman?"

  "Why, nothing..." Gold said, and grinned like a Cheshire Cat. "...Yet."

  "We really can't help her?" Henry interrupted, frustrated by the exchange. "But will she be okay?"

  "That's up to her, dearie," Gold frowned down at him. "But I will tell you one last thing – my money is on Regina. Don't worry yourself, Henry, this is a necessary evil."

  "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Emma jumped in again, goaded once more. "Enough riddles, Rumplestiltskin, give us a straight answer!"

Gold regarded her coolly for a moment. He regarded them each in turn.

  "In short order, everything will make sense," he stated in a tone that brooked no further argument. "I believe this is a test, and no one may pass it but Regina - on her own, unhindered. If you attempt to help her, she will be unable to help herself. I'm telling you, keep out of the way."

Emma glared at him, fuming. She knew better than to disregard Gold's advice, but she didn't like it one bit.

  "We can't just abandon her to this – this woman!" Mary-Margaret exclaimed. "Who knows what she's capable of!"

Gold turned his pitiless gaze on her and raised his eyebrows. She quailed.

  "May I remind you, Snow White," he growled softly, "what your meddling in Regina's affairs has achieved in the past?"

Mary-Margaret fell silent, abashed, and Gold studied them each in turn once more.

  "That is all I have to say on the matter," he reiterated curtly. "Now unless you're buying something, get out of my shop."